Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Smiths Little Torch

I'm sure it is gas safe tape - nobody who has any idea what they're doing would dream of using anything else. My issue is that he doesn't say this - just refers to PTFE, and no novice would know any different, so would have no idea how unsafe it is to use the regular plumber's variety.

So can I ask a dumb question ?
    What could you do with this torch that you can't do with the Sievert on propane?
    I gather that you get a hotter flame so presumably its better for larger items but does it also allow you to work with stones in an item the way a PUK can for example?

The PUK system is a welder, so zero similarities there.

The big advantage for me, and why I'm looking to buy a Smiths torch is because of its versatility. it produces a hotter flame done my Sievert, so it's better for the occassional casting job as well as soldering and annealing larger pieces.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    So can I ask a dumb question ?
    What could you do with this torch that you can't do with the Sievert on propane?
    I gather that you get a hotter flame so presumably its better for larger items but does it also allow you to work with stones in an item the way a PUK can for example?
    Sarah, you can control the flame while using it from soft and gentle bushy to a hot pointed flame, and it is a lot smaller in the hand than a Sievert and yes you can do some jobs without unsetting stones. I have both Sievert and Oxy/Propane torches and the Sievert only gets used when I need a large flame for annealing or soldering very large jobs and for melting up my lead blocks.

James

Thanks so much for the info James
    Thanks Nick, its just that its called a welder on Cookies so although obviously I wouldn't expect it to be as clever as the PUK one for that price I wondered what sort of welding could be done.
    I love my little kiln for casting, far less stressful than a torch on full LOL

That's odd Sarah and I wasn't aware they'd called it a welder. Pretty misleading actually.

A kiln is something on my wishlist along with hundreds more items.. It's never ending isn't it!

Nick

First of all, hope that all the very lovely members on this forum have had a fabulous Christmas Day. I've had a wonderful, generous and relaxing one.

Apologies for regurgitating this thread, but as I'm about to order the Smiths torch + Oxycon setup I've one more valid question. And as the whole setup is getting on for near £500 then I need to know I've got everything I need!

Everything's clear in my mind now. Only question remaining is how does the hose from the Oxycon machine connect to the oxygen line of the Smiths torch?

Both lines have brass hex nuts on which is fine for connecting to the arrestor > regulator > propane tank. But how does it connect to the Oxycon machine via a plastic hose?

Thanks all,

Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Nick, my oxycon came with a plastic pipe with a green fitting to fit the outlet of the oxycon. I had to find an adapter that was fitted to the open end of the plastic tube. You might get one from a welding gas supplier, I got mine from a member on another forum.

You need to run the oxycon for a while to get the oxygen flowing, mine don't like having the oxygen shut for to long while it's running, so once the flame is out I just open the oxygen and let it hiss away. this can't enrich the oxygen in the room as the oxycon is only putting back what it took out in the first place.

A lot of money up front but I love my setup.

Merry Christmas and a happy time with your little torch.
    Neil
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by WitchfordSilver View Post
    Hi Nick, my oxycon came with a plastic pipe with a green fitting to fit the outlet of the oxycon. I had to find an adapter that was fitted to the open end of the plastic tube. You might get one from a welding gas supplier, I got mine from a member on another forum.

You need to run the oxycon for a while to get the oxygen flowing, mine don't like having the oxygen shut for to long while it's running, so once the flame is out I just open the oxygen and let it hiss away. this can't enrich the oxygen in the room as the oxycon is only putting back what it took out in the first place.

A lot of money up front but I love my setup.

Merry Christmas and a happy time with your little torch.
    Neil
    Thanks for that info Neil, much appreciated.

Good news to hear about the connector for the Oxycon end ( Christmas tree type I think? ) but its the tube > torch end thats bothering me.

I appreciate that it is of course do-able, but the last thing I want to do is faff around driving to numerous welding suppliers, explaining what I need etc. What I want to do is to buy the equipment and then setup ready to use once its arrived.

I know Im being a pain, but can someone who has this setup possibly post a picture of the type of connection / adapter that I need, or even better also tell me where I can buy one from?

Thanks all,

Nick
    Last edited by Nick martin; 26-12-2014 at 07:25 AM.

Well, I expect this is wrong, but in the absence of any other replies, here's my setup.
    As Neil said, the oxycon does not like operating against a closed valve, so I have put a Y piece in and have one branch permanently open, venting about 1 L/pm out through the partially clamped end. This still leaves plenty of output to drive the knock off torch, even with the big multi hole melting nozzle on :-)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oxysetup.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	7147