Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Smiths Little Torch

Hotter flame and finer control over the flame characteristics - as Dennis has described before, changing a Sievert between an oxidising flame and a reducing flame requires a bit of work, whereas an oxy-propane mix you have simple direct control.

Oh I see, but I solder very small things with mine and it works ok. I also have a handheld, in fact I have three different ones, one is like a blowtorch which I use for heating up bigger things, the other two are more like cooks torches, one has a very small flame and too hot for most things. I am quite happy with mine, it does what i want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick martin View Post
    Right.. I'm getting somewhere in my head now thanks!

It's visualising how it all links together that's the difficult bit for me.

Guessing that with the Oxycon setup I'm looking at about £400+ minus the propane but it's not a fortune I suppose.

Can I be really cheeky and ask one of you guys if you'd mind posting a photo of how the arrestor / regulators fit onto your gas tank please?

Thanks,

Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Nick - came across this cookson product review of the smiths little torch by Dave Wilson only yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vf1nRf1YcY

Hopefully should answer a few questions.

That's brilliant.. Job sorted. Thank you Suzie!

Nick

Slightly worried at this one. He appears to be using ptfe tape with oxygen. HUGELY dangerous. Regular PTFE contains oil, which can react violently with oxygen and should never, ever be used in oxy lines.

If you need tape, regular electrical tape is fine, or use special oxygen safe ptfe.

http://www.boconline.co.uk/en/produc...en/oxygen.html

That could be nasty George. If this is sponsored by Cookson, they should be alerted.

A lesser niggle: He says that changing from propane to butane will give a hotter flame. I am sure in my own mind that it is actually the reverse. Dennis.

He's sort of right, yet wrong at the same time.
    Rather than typing it all out, I'll be lazy and link to Peter Rowe's article about this -
    http://juxtamorph.com/butane-versus-...ich-is-hotter/

Was I mistaken or did Dave Wilson on that video have the pressure regulator fitted to the Propane cylinder as it is the oxygen cylinder that needs the adjustable twin dial regulator fitted, the propane just need a standard BBQ regulator to reduce the gas pressure.
    Also I am not sure if my old torch is a Smiths as it has a black and red pipe and the nozzles fit differently, unless they changed the design over the years.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oxy propane cylinders.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	6799Click image for larger version. 

Name:	122 Scorper heating for temper.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	6800

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 25-10-2014 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    He's sort of right, yet wrong at the same time.
    Rather than typing it all out, I'll be lazy and link to Peter Rowe's article about this -
    http://juxtamorph.com/butane-versus-...ich-is-hotter/
    Well thank you Peter, maybe I'll understand it better in the morning. British Summer Time ends by the way folks.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Slightly worried at this one. He appears to be using ptfe tape with oxygen. HUGELY dangerous. Regular PTFE contains oil, which can react violently with oxygen and should never, ever be used in oxy lines.

If you need tape, regular electrical tape is fine, or use special oxygen safe ptfe.

http://www.boconline.co.uk/en/produc...en/oxygen.html
    It's coming from a yellow case which makes me think it may be gas ptfe tape (mine gas stuff is yellow packaged and my water stuff is white)
    All the gas stuff I have ever used claims it's oxygen safe.
    I didn't need to use any on my little torch setup though.
    As far a regulators go, there is no harm in having an adjustable one with a contents gauge, I use an old acetylene one. I did find that one of the cheapo fixed ones did not allow sufficient pressure through to open the fba.