Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birmingham jewellery quarter

Thumbs down Birmingham jewellery quarter

Hi,I'd be interested to hear your views if you've recentl visited the jewellery quarter in Birmingham,Iv just returned after a recent fact finding mission and I can't begin to tell you how disapointed I am,
    I expected to be inspired by the creative ideas on show, but it was a big let down the shops looked tired and rundown and the jewellery uninspired and unimaginative,I just wondered what others think.

I'd be interested to know where you looked and what you saw Sassoon, what did you go and see?? Also, what were you expecting that you didn't find....just curious!!

I thought the same but I don't think I was looking in the right places. I think a lot goes on in back rooms away from the public. I did love the tool shops though. Those of you in the midlands are so lucky to have it all on your doorstep.

As a Brummie, born and bred, my initial reaction to Sassoon's comment was to be defensive - this is my hometown after all. On reflection however, I'd have to agree - but only up to a point. Yes, there are seemingly hundreds of shops selling the same kind of stuff and if you want an instant engagement or wedding ring, it's the place to go. However, there are many positives - the museum of the jewellery quarter is fascinating, the tool shops (who of us can resist?!), Birmingham Assay Office within a few minutes walk, the Birmingham School of Jewellery - it was seeing a display of students' work here many years ago that the seeds were sewn for me. Looking at the work displayed made me want to 'have a go' myself even though it took a lot of years until I finally did. I love to look around in 'Artful Expression' - a collection of artisans work where there are plenty of inspired and original items to be seen. There are workshops offering tuition (my only 'formal' training was a six week evening class earlier this year in one), individual design or the making of one-offs. The best of all, for me, is Cooksons itself. The counter staff are so lovely, helpful and informative. I've been going in there for most of my stuff for the past year - just a few bits and pieces now and again. I'm only a hobby jewellery maker but I walk in there and they know me! They know my name and often have my details on screen before I even get to the counter. They're patient when I don't really know what it is I want, are able to offer advice on the best tools for the job I'm attempting and I know I can trust this advice because some of them are jewellers too!
    All in all I'd have to agree with caroleallen's assessment - I am extremely lucky to have all this on my doorstep and for just a £5.30 return train ticket too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We thought the same about London. Shops look dirty and tired, but the huge variety inside. Like you, tools are my downfall, New Years resolution is to spend less on tools.

I guess I thought there would be more contempory jewellery, all I saw was the traditional stuff.
    just a word about accesability, my partner is a full time wheelchair user, there was a couple of places that had ramps but the vast majority were inaccessible, don't get me wrong I realise the jewellery quarter shops are historical not aloud to be altred, I live in York which believe me has it's own problems With inaccessibility.
    Just a warning to others that have mobility difficulties.

I think the comments are fair, I'd agree Sassoon, Carole & Ssssue, there is a distinct lack of contemporary jewellery!!

The majority of shops are wholesale jewellers of the same ilk, selling diamond engagement rings and wedding bands at pretty competitive prices,....but all much of a muchness

The places to go in terms of 'big' jewellers, but who have bench workers on site are Bickells and Lyanalls....you'll see some different work in those and of course Artfull Expression...stocking a variety of contemporary jewellers/designers...(I'm stocked in there, so may have a slight bias )!!! Access is undoubtedly an issue for many places, narrow doorways, steps and stairs......as Carole says, much of the work goes on behind the frontages,.....there is a real network/ warren of workshops housing model makers, setters, engravers, enamelers, model makers, casters, designers, mild cutters, polishers, to name but a few......

I work out of one of these a couple of days each week, I have done for over 4 years and the longer you're there the more you realise is there!!!!!

There is also a lot to see, much of which has already been mentioned.....I won't mention the tool shops.....School of Jewellery, museum, Assay Office, The Royal Birmingham Society of Artists (RBSA), some pretty good cafes and coffee shops too....

The public frontage of the Jewellery Quarter is disappointing, it's a shame in many ways,......there is definitely a distinct lack of outlets of jewellery that is handmade and one-off.....if you're visiting again Sassoon, let me know and I'll point you in the direction of places that may be of interest!!

Tabby x

It must be amazing to work in such a place Tabby.

Quote Originally Posted by Sassoon View Post
    I guess I thought there would be more contempory jewellery, all I saw was the traditional stuff.
    That's entirely a symptom of public demand. The market for "traditional stuff" is much bigger than the market for contemporary, and that situation doesn't look set to change any time soon.

I was up there on Saturday for a gig and was very excited to get chance to pay a visit. I have to say I was largely underwhelmed too. Admittedly we only had a few hours but I had hoped to see more in the way of workshops and tours. I did enjoy some of the limited jewellery on display at the RBSA, but my biggest disappointment was the only two tool shops I knew (Cookson's and Suttons) were closed

I left feeling very dejected
    All the gear and no idea