Thread: Reflections silver

Default Reflections silver

Is reflections silver still hallmarkable as 925?

Yes it is.

Thanks. From your and others' feedback it would seem that it is not realy all it is made up to be so I will stick with sterling for now.

It has its uses - especially if you're looking for some tarnish resistance, which can be particularly useful on larger pieces.

It is the tarnish resistance that got me interested. None of my items are so old that I can see any tarnish but all info points to sterling tarnishing and I would prefer that something bought from me does not tarnish. My skillset is now such that I can take a step up but perhaps I should try argentium. It is just that I would prefer UK suppliers and from your previous comments it would seem that UK supply can be problematic.

Pieces made from sterling are fine as long as they're stored properly - and all you can do is advise recipients/customers about how to do this. I think reflections is useful for trinkets and larger pieces (boxes, decorative pieces, etc), but prefer not to pay the premium for most everyday work.

I find working with argentium comes with its own set of problems, so use it only for things where it's special properties, especially in terms of fusing, are of real use. For fabrication, its tendency to collapse when heated makes it a poor choice for most of my pieces.

I use reflections silver in everything I make at present and I find it gives really good tarnish resistance. No complaints from me, and for sterling I wouldn't go back to regular silver.

Mizgeorge.. With Argentium, can regular silver solder be used? About from it being brittle, and collapsible when heated, what's its other pitfalls?

Assuming it's robust enough to texture and file etc?

Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk