Thread: Sorry if posting wrong place

Default Sorry if posting wrong place

I really don't know where to ask this question, if anywhere. My partner has a man's gold sovereign ring which is a 1901 Queen Victoria, which was given to him as a child. We are getting married next year and would like to sell it to put it towards the (ever spiralling!) cost of the wedding.

Where would be the best place to sell it? Also, would it be better to sell the whole ring or remove the sovereign to sell as separate?

Any guidance welcome!

I would do a search on 1901 gold sovereigns for value and then compare to the weight of the ring as a whole for scrap value and see which is best. If you have an antique sale room nearby it might be worth asking what they are selling for at auction and if the price is good put a reserve price on it, you might get more money that way than selling for scrap.
    You haven't thought about having your wedding ring made from it?
    Last edited by CJ57; 21-10-2014 at 05:35 PM.

thanks Caroline. Yes it was the initial idea to make the rings from it as that's what he'd planned on all along but we're really trying to keep costs down and we thought that we might gain more by selling it. However, we haven't really looked at wedding ring costs but it may be that we may as well do that although then there's factoring in the cost of someone to make them.

Unless 1901 is an unusually scarce year for that coin, or if it has a rare mint mark, or if it's in mint condition, then even coin collectors would base the value on its weight only.. I.e. Scrap.

Cooksons have a scrap procedure where they'll buy your gold or whatever from you, so I'd give them a call.

Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nick martin View Post
    Unless 1901 is an unusually scarce year for that coin, or if it has a rare mint mark, or if it's in mint condition, then even coin collectors would base the value on its weight only.. I.e. Scrap.

Cooksons have a scrap procedure where they'll buy your gold or whatever from you, so I'd give them a call.

Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see, we'd better get that bit checked out first then, thankyou.