Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Polishing to a mirror shine - problem!

Sorry to keep on asking obvious questions but are you wrapping your sandpaper round your file so that it's sanding evenly?

I seem to remember an earlier post where someone was complaining about a line that wouldn't disappear on their silver but that wouldn't explain why this was down the middle of each ring :/

Caroline - no obvious it good!! I have tried both - I used emery sticks and tried sanding just with sandpaper on its own - thought my emery sticks might be 'too wide' and that's why they were not hitting the middle ridge so tried it free hand too to make sure I hit all parts - still no joy.

Does the offending patch look anything like this?:
    http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/att...3&d=1396904353

Yes! So, I thought it was fire scale - I pickled it and then sanded twice again - all grits, emery and free hand and finished with luxi. Now it looks like that but more silver! What was the problem with this one? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silver70 View Post
    Caroline - no obvious it good!! I have tried both - I used emery sticks and tried sanding just with sandpaper on its own - thought my emery sticks might be 'too wide' and that's why they were not hitting the middle ridge so tried it free hand too to make sure I hit all parts - still no joy.
    If you sand free hand it'll shape into your fingers, I would say from the photo there is a bit of a bevel in the silver. I would take a flat file with the emery wrapped around, this is much more rigid than even emery sticks and sand in a curved motion constantly turning the ring, you might have to go round a few times until you get a flat surface. It would be much easier to show you than explain

I agree. I've noticed that when some flat section is bent into a ring it has a tendency to 'cup' so that the edges are higher than the middle.
    I have to file circumferentially around the ring until I see the file marks down to the middle.
    The effect is accentuated if you have worked it on a tapered mandrel.
    As I say, I file, then buff.

I would agree with the file too if it's really deep, there is nothing more useful than some really good hand files of different grades. The finest would probably take it down to just needing fine emery then a polish. Filing an arc be it rings or bangles is all the wrist action and just needs practice. Think we've all solved it now!

Many thanks - I will wrap my grades of sand papers around my files and give it another bout then! Not sure I really understand the 'science' behind the edges being higher....I will have a look at the ring when I get back to my bench but thanks! It seems that this is what is happening!

If I file, I am worried I will take too much off so I will sick with sand paper for now. Do I need to go for the edges more than the middle at first them or still go all around still?

Am I to still work up the curve of the ring - is this what is meant by curved motion? Just worried about getting a flat point or not sanding with the curve of the ring and spoiling it,

Keep the file flat as possible so you'll take the high points down to the lowest equally and yes work round the curve , not across the ring moving the ring on as you work round and you won't get a flat point

Thanks! I will have a go!