Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My first big event

Default Help from George please?

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I agree with Di.

Plated are OK for mass produced glass beads, acrylics etc.

For gemstones, artisan lampwork, handmade polyclay etc, I'd stick with sterling, or copper if appropriate.

Hi George,

I've got some sterling and copper, so will def give that a go. Also, I've seen some of your rubber cord on your site, and also the hand dyed silk threads that youv'e used in the framed heart thread - they are really lovely and I'd like to have a go at making some jewellery with them. Apologies for asking such a silly question, but George, is the silk cord secured with cord ends, or by some other means?

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=644

thanks

Jules

A mix of silver chain and some green leather or silks would look lovely with the green neclace and bring it 'bang up to date' as Gok would say I mix my materials up all the time, i have in the collection at the mo spider agate with tibetan beads and glasss pearls it keeps the costs of my items down and i sell them easily but than i have another range that i keep solely silver but then i have added swarvoski crystal.

Jules, there are lots of ways of finishing silk ribbon. Some people just knot the ends and leave it to the wearer to tie a bow, others put wrapover cord ends and a clasp on for a fixed length.

I like to make the length adjustable - pendants in particular are often best worn at different lengths according to the outfit and occasion, so I usually make a slider by threading a couple of lampwork beads onto both cords, then a smaller bead on the end of each one followed by a trimmed knot (which I usually dab with a bit of fraycheck to be sure!

They're a nice alternative - I like using a combination of silk ribbon and cord as well.

Jules, there are lots of ways of finishing silk ribbon. Some people just knot the ends and leave it to the wearer to tie a bow, others put wrapover cord ends and a clasp on for a fixed length.

I like to make the length adjustable - pendants in particular are often best worn at different lengths according to the outfit and occasion, so I usually make a slider by threading a couple of lampwork beads onto both cords, then a smaller bead on the end of each one followed by a trimmed knot (which I usually dab with a bit of fraycheck to be sure!

They're a nice alternative - I like using a combination of silk ribbon and cord as well.
    OOh thanks so much for that George...

I'm busy busy with chores and as we grow all our own veg, there's a glut of courgettes & toms at the mo. so busy making pizza toppings, quiches, etc

spk later
    Love
    Jules

Default Can you hammer gold-fill wire?

I agree with Di.

Plated are OK for mass produced glass beads, acrylics etc.

For gemstones, artisan lampwork, handmade polyclay etc, I'd stick with sterling, or copper if appropriate.

Hiya

Apologies for replying to a slightly old thread, but, having done a lot of wire wrapping lately, I wanted to pose a question I have about wire wrapping and hammering.

I have some lovely semi-precious beads and I normally use gold-fill findings to compliment them. Can you hammer gold-fill, or would you use 9ct gold wire to wire wrap with, or copper? If it is copper, doesn't it tarnish? If yes, do you treat it in some way to stop it from tarnishing?

thanks in advance
    Love
    Jules x

I do a lot of wire-wrapping with gold-fill and I'm very happy with it - I don't hammer it too much but I've not had any problems. I've used vermeil in the as well, but I found that if I hammered or wrapped too tightly the silver started to show. Not a problem with GF as the core is usually brass.

Copper is good to use as well and I love the warm colour, but it does tarnish. I have a feeling there were comments recently about coating with some wax to prevent or slow down the tarnishing.
    Kym

I'm hoping for world peace but I'd also like something shiny as well...

www.kymbigwood.com

Yes, it was Renaissance Wax.
    Linda