Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My first big event

You want honest, right?

Well, okay. I think the necklaces are a bit 'samey,' by that I mean they are all a variation on one theme, which is simple stringing. There's nothing there that makes me think 'wow!' Its well executed but a little boring.

I know that's going to hurt you, which is the last thing I want to do because I've been on the receiving end myself and know how it feels. However, I believe you meant it when you asked for honesty (or I hope you did ).

Think about different ways you could display the beads - what about half stringing and half chain (or leather). Or how about a Y shaped necklace or a lariat?
    Di x

Oh Di, yes, of course I meant honest 'cos honest is just what I need. Yes, when you look at it, it does look samey, doesn't it! Never noticed it until now.

I want to have much more wrapping and shapes in my jewellery, which is why I've asked about hammers elsewhere on the forum, so I can start hammering. So, you would mix semi-precious with leather/ or some other medium. I would never have used leather/rattail with semi-precious, as I thought it might cheapen the overall look. What do you think? As for chain, I've been dying to get into chain, but there are zillions in the Cooksons book and I just don't know where to start - any recommendations for a, not too heavy, sterling chain that I could use in a necklace and possibly with earrings too, or would you use different sizes for necks and ears (if you know what I mean).

I've seen some of George's rubber cord on her site, and also her hand dyed silk threads that she's used in the framed heart thread - they look very professional. George, how are they secured?

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=644

Di, thanks soooo much for your feedback - it means a lot

Come on then everyone - don't be shy now, tell me what you think !!!!! .. I won't sob too much, he he

Jules x

I couldnt give you a proper opinion hun cos i am just not experienced enough so say whats right or wrong. I am looking at chains too but i want to make them
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Hi Petal

I would use a heavier chain doesent have to be silver although i dont know what you charge for your necklaces, if you look at jewellery coming in this season it all has large beads at the front, say your bead green one and then attached to a chain or two to go round neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
    Hi Petal

I would use a heavier chain doesent have to be silver although i dont know what you charge for your necklaces, if you look at jewellery coming in this season it all has large beads at the front, say your bead green one and then attached to a chain or two to go round neck.
    and you can do exactly the same with leather - so you have your beady bit at the front - either on stringing stuff or attached to a chain like a charm bracelet (but bulky if you know what I mean. Then attach that bit to leather thonging either side. Use good thong (Greek leather is best) and also consider using it double. The scanner's not working so I can't scan a picture in perhaps one of hte others could explain it better for me? And think in terms of coloured leather - olive green always looks quite classy I think, but you can get it in a whole host of colours.
    Di x

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Cottage View Post
    and you can do exactly the same with leather - so you have your beady bit at the front - either on stringing stuff or attached to a chain like a charm bracelet (but bulky if you know what I mean. Then attach that bit to leather thonging either side. Use good thong (Greek leather is best) and also consider using it double. The scanner's not working so I can't scan a picture in perhaps one of hte others could explain it better for me? And think in terms of coloured leather - olive green always looks quite classy I think, but you can get it in a whole host of colours.
    Hiya,

The plain green obsidian necklace is £29 with 24ct rolled gold plating on sterling findings. So, just to check I am getting this right..... would you put semi-precious bead(s) with plated chain/findings? I think I get your meaning about the charm bracelet look... (now feeling a bit tired, as I've done a lot of chores and bit knackered from yesterday....) I'll log off now and have a think and get back to you guys tomorrow, when the brain is more engaged with those fingers of mine!

See ya later
    Jules x

No I wouldn't used plated chain or findings, Jules.
    Di x

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Cottage View Post
    No I wouldn't used plated chain or findings, Jules.
    I agree with Di.

Plated are OK for mass produced glass beads, acrylics etc.

For gemstones, artisan lampwork, handmade polyclay etc, I'd stick with sterling, or copper if appropriate.

I also agree. People expect silver findings for that sort of price. I think you're right to try some wire wrapping to add some interest.

I agree as well ~ I'd stick with silver, copper or gold-filled findings. Greek leather looks great with semi-precious especially if you make or use nice silver end-caps to finish it off.
    Kym

I'm hoping for world peace but I'd also like something shiny as well...

www.kymbigwood.com