Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sizing of cast rings?

Ah, it is made of Palladium 950. She didn't quite like the gold color of gold, and wanted a white shiny ring. Since white gold is mostly grey and need to be plated I figured we should go all the way and make it from Palladium instead. There will be a wedding ring cast as well (these are engagement rings (old Swedish tradition)) later, also in Palladium.

There is no way I could have soldered it at home, I don't have the equipment for it.
    I am not entirely sure my landlord would like me to store hydrogen or acetylene bottles in my apartment.

Plus, wire + solder + equipment would cost a lot more than having it cast.

/Andreas

Nice finish!
    Incidentally have you seen the 9ct white gold that Cooksons do? its far less grey than 18ct, actually has a very slight yellowish tinge to it.

Yes, I saw it and considered it for a while.
    I would still need to buy solder and wire, and manage to make a nice shape ring out of it (basically a court shape with flattened sides) + a wedding ring (same style) later, with settings for stones.
    This way it is a lot easier to make the wedding ring since I can adjust the thickness to be a little bit higher on the gem side which will make it fit well wit the other.

Plus, it is light and strong, won't oxidize and is a really nice color.
    Since it is light it does not cost much more than a regular gold ring, and I still get to work at it a bit.

/Andreas

Lots of work and a good result. Still, it takes fifty or sixty years to work at your marriage... Best wishes. Dennis.

Turned out great nice job

Thank you all!

/Andreas

Very interesting thread to read.
    Can I refresh it a little bit with one question that spins in my head for the last few days?

I see now how to make correct size of the ring, but how about bezels and other stone setting types? Should I make them bigger? How much %? How to calculate it? Well it’s easier with ring size as you can add more “meat” and then polish it, but I guess it is completely different with bezels and prongs, especially if you have shapes like pear or marquise.
    Any thoughts, expirience?

Thanks!

It's best not to think in percentages, because the difference in bezels and prongs will be slight, though important for a good fit.
    Prongs of course can be moved a bit and bezels can be thickened and made slightly thicker for adjustment after casting.
    Remember that stones of a nominal size will vary slightly when you measure them too, so have to be considered individually.
    Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 25-05-2019 at 02:21 PM.