Thread: Not made by me... but getting restored by me

Default Not made by me... but getting restored by me

Hi all,

Apologies if this is in an inappropriate section, so mods feel free to shift it if need be please.

A pal of mine found this lovely little fine-silver spoon while out metal detecting with me on sunday gone. From the research Ive done on the hallmarks it dates to the 1700's during the reign of George III.

A few centuries of lying in a field in North Yorkshire and getting battered by the plough, rocks, cattle, and god knows what else have taken its toll on it but I told my friend I'd have a crack at restoring it a little as a bit of a challenge / project.

Following some sound advice from James ( Goldsmith ) I'm pretty pleased with the results so far. The bowl still needs some work on it, but its comely along rather nicely I think.

Cheers,

Nick

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spoon.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	6726

Sounds quite interesting this metal detecting malarkey, do you have days and weeks without finding stuff, and how do you know where to look.
    Nice restoration too.

It's hugely interesting as long as you've got an interest / love of history and archaeology like I have. Local knowledge of the areas I go to, previous find spots, and a big chunk of 'luck' all go into the mix when finding things, and yes there are quiet periods where nothing of note is found.

Cheers,

Nick

Its a Viking hoard for you next then Nick.

If you want to take up metal detecting just make sure (depending on where you are) that you are aware of any regulations as to finds, use of metal detectors etc.

For example - in Sweden it is legal to buy, sell and own a metal detector, but illegal to use it without a permit.

The permits are given for a specific site or purpose only and won't be given near any archeological finds (unless you are in an archeological team excavating somewhere). Public beaches, mineral prospecting and searching for lost objects are things that you might get a permit for.
    Basically you can only use them to find newer objects and not objects of archeological importance.

/Andreas

Actually Dennis, a friend found one a few years ago now but sadly not me. Have had two medieval coin hoards however!

I had some friends that found a bunch of coins, they had to declare it to the treasury I think.