Thread: Hallmarking again!!!

Default Hallmarking again!!!

My wife is making some necklaces as christmas pressies.
    Essentally she is threading various components onto a thread and fixing on a clasp.
    Some of the components are silver, some are stone or glass or plastic.
    None of the silver bits are anywhere near 7.78g, but the total weight of the finished necklace including the silver and other bits is more than 7.78g
    One of the necklaces is more or less a load of silver tube type bits threaded onto a cord, this is all silver and is again over weight (but each individual tube is less than 0.5g)
    Do they need hallmarking (in practice we wont be selling them so it won't really matter - just interested)
    They could be disassembled in half a second with a pair of scissors!
    Steve? Anyone?

I wouldn't have thought they'd legally need hallmarking as you're not selling them. Hopefully Steve will be along with an answer soon =D
    Sian Williamson

Cheers Keia.
    I' realise they won't need hallmarking in my case, it just got me thinking about if they would if they were being sold (as part silver)
    I think it is someone on here, amongst others, who makes the coastline and mountain range type interlocking rings. Another thing I've often wondered is - do these separate, and if so do you need to mark both pieces?
    thanks

I think the general rule is.. If all the items are permanently linked and are non-removable, ie a chain affixed / soldered onto the pendant, then the hallmarking requirement is based on the weight of the entire piece. So if it's over the minimum weight ( as a complete item ) and if you're retailing it, then yes to Hallmarking it for legal purposes.

Nick

I think my question should really be, is a crimped thread a permanent fixing?

Quote Originally Posted by trialuser View Post
    I think my question should really be, is a crimped thread a permanent fixing?
    Yup, I believe it is....but I also think that the weight refers to the 'metal' components of a piece (whatever the metal components are), if you want to claim that some (clearly distinguishable parts) are silver, then it needs hallmarking....Steve, please help!!!

All of the above I think and then it comes down to how you fasten it. If the catch requires tools to open up the jump rings or fastenings then it's deemed one necklace rather than a necklace in parts that are easily removed by hand.
    We need an expert!