Thread: Wide diameter silver barrel beads?

Default Wide diameter silver barrel beads?

Hello all, I would love to make some wide sterling silver beads to stamp text on to fit wide leather bracelets. I have no idea if they are cut from sheet sterling silver then formed and soldered or cut from silver tube, although I can't find tube wide enough. The dimensions I need are 5,10 and 13mm in diameter and about 5mm in length. I hope you know what I mean.
    Thanks in advance for your help. Hazel

Hi Hazel, welcome to the forum!
    Do you have a photo of them?

Hi yes, here they are Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bead.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	6725
    I think it's important to say I don;t want to make an exact copy but just want to know how they are made. I work in ACS and PMC so this is a new technique for me. Thanks.Hazel

I make lots of these for people. I use fairly heavy (1mm +) sheet, stamp first, then shape and solder.

Stamping onto tube (which can be found in the right diameters if you look for it) is very hard to do - you need a good mandrel to brace on, and they tend to deform as you work - and often end up getting bigger in the process.

Thanks George, sounds exciting will have to try it out. What tools do I need besides a mandrel?
    Hazel

Thanks Hazel that makes it easier.
    I would say that you would be best to make then with silver sheet and either form them from one strip around a mandrel and then solder once or make to the preferred size in 2 pieces using a swage block like this http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-779 and soldering 2 joints which would probably be easier because you could solder up longer lengths and then cut the beads to the required length.I probably haven't expalined that very well !

Oops George's reply has popped in before I finished mine

Thanks Caroline, that looks great. I guess either way I'll have to brush up on my soldering skills.

That would help as George actually makes them on a regular basis she will no doubt have some tips for you !