Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polishing.....I may have found the holy grail....

Default Polishing.....I may have found the holy grail....

Based on Carole's "Jool Tool" post and this comment from me...:just looked up the Rhino Finger skins Carole and since I am currently suffering 2 buffed away and bleeding thumbs I have to say they look very impressive......green tape has mostly done the job today and will be well used tomorrow!!!"

And...Wallace's link to this...http://www.rhinoknives.com/styled-3/index.html.....they arrived today....2 hours of polishing and my pinkies are unblemished, intact, not scorched, NO BLOOD.....had fantastic hold and feel of my work....achieved results more quickly,.......THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD methinks!!!!!!

Tabby

Ooh, I ordered mine from Rio Grande, so hopefully they'll arrive soon. Am excited now!

Where did you buy them Jill, Wallace's link is no longer working?

Direct from the above link, charged $6.55 postage.....fantastic!!!

Mine have come. They're better than the leather ones but not perfect when polishing tiny things which get hot very quickly. We're experimenting with them plus vet wrap now! They're also very tricky to get on.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Mine have come. They're better than the leather ones but not perfect when polishing tiny things which get hot very quickly. We're experimenting with them plus vet wrap now! They're also very tricky to get on.
    Caroeallen,
    I just bagged up your second set for posting this evening.
    Rhino Finger Skins are made of a surgical grade Neoprene that stretches both directions.

I am a custom knife maker and I tried of having burnt sore spots in the middle of my thumbs and those leather cots would heat up to much especially if they got wet. I grind my blades after they have been heat treated so dunking the blade before each pass is a must. I found this material and thru trial and a lot of error can up with a form fitting design that would protect my thumbs and index fingers and could take the moisture. Actually you can wash RFS in a machine or with a dad of dish soap and place them in an open window to dry.

They will take a 400 degree soldering iron and not burn. Though you can burn them with open flame, sparks etc.

They will feel very snug when you first put them on but will relax after you wear them a few times. I have gotten great feedback on using RFS while cleaning up findings on a 5" grinding wheel as well as protection while doing buffer work.

I am in the process of making a large size for those people with thicker digits and I welcome all feedback from users in the knife making & Jewelry industries as well as any wood carvers that fine them useful.

I am working with the good folks at the parent company of Cooksongold and they are in the process of becoming my overseas distributor.

I wish to say hello to all participants here and will do my best to share any knowledge I may be able to share with you.

Laurence

Hi Laurence
    I've just ordered mine and apparently they are on their way so I'm excited about their arrival. Will let you know how I get on

Hi Laurence,

Welcome to the forum! Nice with a supplier that takes such a keen interest in user feedback! Looking forward to Cookson stocking these...

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

Hi Laurence - glad you found us