Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hallmarking

Default Hallmarking

Hi Forumites.
    Does anyone know of a reputable company who might offer a Hallmarking service similar to the one Cookson Gold used to? I really want to avoid the cost of registering with the Assay office.
    Thanks.

There are no other options to registering with an assay office if you want your own sponsor's mark on your piece.
    Last edited by SteveLAO; 08-10-2014 at 11:01 AM.

but she could get the assay office sponsor mark on her stuff as a kind of irregular thing, no?

No,,the assay office sponsor mark is strictly for a one off...for example a member of the public who bought a chain on holiday abroad and now wants it hallmarked. If you try to have the assay office's sponsor mark more than once then we will ask you to register.

That is strict!

There is clearly an opportunity for for an entrepreneurial soul to set up business here!

ETA: Someone has! http://www.teessidesilversmith.com/i...ct=hallmarking
    Last edited by medusa; 08-10-2014 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    That is strict!

There is clearly an opportunity for for an entrepreneurial soul to set up business here!

That can't be right surely, surely it isn't legal?

The whole point of the hallmark, apart from the independent guarantee of fineness, is traceability....not only of the person involved in making/commissioning the piece, but also of the assay office who carried out the testing. I'm not sure why, having made an item, you would want some other company or individual to take the credit for your work, and have the possibility of losing out on further commissions because you cannot be traced through the sponsor's mark?
    In the meantime, thanks for highlighting this website....this is pretty much what cookson's were doing before they were (i believe) asked to stop. I'll let you know.....

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    That is strict!

This IS illegal.....and you'll note is now no longer available
    Last edited by SteveLAO; 09-10-2014 at 09:41 AM.

I am also in Teesside and had a look at this site for interest sake. Something did catch my eye though... Is it really that expensive to have an item laser-marked?

No it isn't; it would appear he was sub-contracting an assay office's services.