Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hallmarking

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Well apart from it being legal, I like having my own mark I also use the fact that it's the only Scottish one as a selling point. I know it's an extra cost but it isn't as if it's a surprise we don't know about. I would have liked to change the shape of my lettering as I'm having to renew my punches but that would have cost me £72 as a new registration on top of the punch costs so will keep the lettering I've got! The price just has to be factored in with everything else and if it's a commission they are told unless they are able to wait that there will be a hallmarking cost included in the price.

I would be sad if they did away with it, I think it makes us stand out against the rest for quality and it makes me at least keep my standards up
    I agree, I love having my work marked too.
    But I do think its a lot to have to add onto silver items if they have to be marked individually- £30 is what it costs me and whilst that is added to the price its a lot to add onto a silver item- gold isn't such a big deal but silver?

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    I agree, I love having my work marked too.
    But I do think its a lot to have to add onto silver items if they have to be marked individually- £30 is what it costs me and whilst that is added to the price its a lot to add onto a silver item- gold isn't such a big deal but silver?
    I'd move office Sarah. As I said £12.50 or so for up to 2 items plus postage of course at Edinburgh

Its the same at Birmingham- minimum charge £12.50….. but by the time they have added postage, packing and VAT it ends up at £31.98

I go to the London one and its the same, so we dont get much hallmarked either, we always get commissions done because its special and we can add the cost onto the item. We have started to make smaller items to ensure that its under the weight. I dont think they should have a minimum charge, but perhaps dont accept less than say three items that way it would work out cheaper for us. Most jewellers would have more than three items, even hobby ones like me. That way you would just pay for the items and the VAT, and post and packing cutting out the £19.50 minimum charge. Last time I posted up about 6 items and it cost me £6.ish, where they have to sign for it, the post back was £13 and they posted it back in the same box that I sent up!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Its the same at Birmingham- minimum charge £12.50….. but by the time they have added postage, packing and VAT it ends up at £31.98
    Last edited by Patstone; 10-10-2014 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I'm sure some people do get done for not hallmarking but I'm certain a lot of people get away with it. I've done shows run by our local Trading Standards department for about 15 years and never once have they checked whether my work is hallmarked. I hasten to add that I always operate within the law!
    I actually reported an ebay seller to TS on about 6 different occasions for selling overweight unhallmarked items. That was about two months ago, they are still selling the same stuff. I figure TS have bigger fish to fry.