Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Confused about Cookson Silver pricing

Default Confused about Cookson Silver pricing

This is a bit long but it's made me grumpy.

Having watched the falling silver price over the last yearI have recently started stocking up again on sterling sheet on various thickness. I've been keeping note of the Cookson over 50gm sheet price dropping continuously from 543 per kilo in December 2013 to 471 per kilo on 19th September. On 23rd September I ordered over the 50gm weight and the amount charged was 456.20 per kilo Since then, having seen the silver price continue to fall, I thought I would order some more. The same size and thickness piece now shows as 523.34 per kilo. For this one small piece alone the price has now gone up by over £5. Is this price on the website correct? While I appreciate that the cost for more 'finished' metal types such as sterling sheet and wire will be higher than unprocessed pure silver ingots, I am curious as to why the price of sheet is now increasing while the underlying silver cost is reducing.

Quote Originally Posted by Myosotis View Post
    This is a bit long but it's made me grumpy.

Having watched the falling silver price over the last yearI have recently started stocking up again on sterling sheet on various thickness. I've been keeping note of the Cookson over 50gm sheet price dropping continuously from 543 per kilo in December 2013 to 471 per kilo on 19th September. On 23rd September I ordered over the 50gm weight and the amount charged was 456.20 per kilo Since then, having seen the silver price continue to fall, I thought I would order some more. The same size and thickness piece now shows as 523.34 per kilo. For this one small piece alone the price has now gone up by over £5. Is this price on the website correct? While I appreciate that the cost for more 'finished' metal types such as sterling sheet and wire will be higher than unprocessed pure silver ingots, I am curious as to why the price of sheet is now increasing while the underlying silver cost is reducing.
    Thanks for the post, we're investigating at the moment. Please bear with us a short while and we will come back to you
    rgds
    Rob

Thanks Rob - there may be underlying reasons I'm unaware of like maybe your costs have gone up or something which is fair enough but I was a bit surprised! Will await your feedback in due course

Hi, I have noticed this too. Price today for some sheet I want to order is higher than I paid in mid August, yet silver price in that time has dropped by £28/kg since my last order. I am right to suppose that the price Cooksons sells at relates to the price they had to buy it in at (assuming that was earlier in the year when price was higher) and doesn't necessarily reflect the current market price of the raw material?

Quote Originally Posted by paintboxcrafts View Post
    Hi, I have noticed this too. Price today for some sheet I want to order is higher than I paid in mid August, yet silver price in that time has dropped by £28/kg since my last order. I am right to suppose that the price Cooksons sells at relates to the price they had to buy it in at (assuming that was earlier in the year when price was higher) and doesn't necessarily reflect the current market price of the raw material?
    I understand the principle of this however shouldn't this also have been the case when the price of the raw material was going up? Yet over the last few years whenever the price of silver went up the cost of sheet/wire also went up yet surely some of that had been bought earlier in the year when it was cheaper.

I'm just curious as to whether there is some lower limit in place now that means any future drops in silver price won't be passed on - i.e. if Cookson comes back and said something about not being economically viable to sell below £x per kilo at the current time
    Last edited by Myosotis; 10-10-2014 at 01:04 PM.

Has anyone heard from Cookson's about this, yet?

Not heard a thing in the twelve days since Rob said they would look into it.

I've drawn my own conclusions from the silence.

I've been waiting on a part order since 25th Aug, some of it was a donation to the Darwald jewellery workshop. I've had 3 delivery dates go by and I suggested that in good faith they might like to donate a further borax dish and extra cone to the workshop as it's such a small amount of money and maybe reimburse me for emails, phone calls and inconvenience. The first response said that suppliers were sometimes outwith their control and after the 3rd no show it has now been referred to the product manager, can't say I'm impressed! I think was supposed to be appeased by the fact it was going to be sent out freepost, I wouldn't have expected anything else really !
    Last edited by CJ57; 19-10-2014 at 12:54 PM.

still nuffin? How strange.

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    still nuffin? How strange.
    Still nothin for me either!