Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my sievert bit me !!! (the handle caught fire)

Exclamation my sievert bit me !!! (the handle caught fire)

hi all,
    billie from london : i firstly want to say thank you very much for all the info on the forum, in helping getting me up and started with my torch ! i also watch the utube video .

so very excited, felt confidant turned gas on and started soldering .

soldering away and next thing the flame jumped back at me, the handle and my hand were engulfed in flames !!!

i dropped the torch and turned the main gas on the canister off.

it did not burn me but it was frightening !!!

is there a thread on the forum or somewhere i can find out what happened, why and NOT to repeat it !

one good thing i was hovering in the background just peaking around now i had to take that leap and get involved !!!

thanking u muchly and good to be here !!!

Hi Billie and welcome
    It's scary isn't it, my sievert has recently started doing that but I've had mine for 30 + years. As yours is new I would check if the burner is screwed on tightly, other than that I have no idea why mine started playing up either. I get a warning of sparks before the blow back and have since boiled the burner to clean it but haven't used it much since. When I turn it off on the handle the flame also continues and I have to blow it out but that may also have stopped since I cleaned the burner
    Hope someone can explain
    Last edited by CJ57; 07-10-2014 at 03:46 PM. Reason: iOS 8 writes utter tosh and I didn't notice:(

Hi Billie,
    Mine did it too, in fact mine flamed right up in my face singeing my hair and I couldn't turn it off except at the gas bottle as the flame kept going after I dropped it on the floor -the flame out of the handle that is.
    In my case Im pretty sure it was my own stupidity in that I hadn't tightened it properly so I always make sure its tightened and no leaks now before using.
    So far so good thankfully!

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

It appears that you have a leak somewhere between the rubber hose and the burner nozzle - almost certainly a screwed joint that is either not fully tightened or has been cross threaded.
    With gas turned ON at the bottle but OFF at the nozzle paint a washing up liquid solution over all the joints - if one bubbles then that is where the leak is. If no bubbling try again with the nozzle turned on but NOT lit (outside or in a very well ventilated area). Again check for bubbling.

If this fails then immerse the whole nozzle in water an turn the gas bottle on - any bubbles will show where the leak is. Ensure you FULLY and COMPLETELY dry the nozzle before using by giving it a good shake, wiping off and putting in a warm area for a few hours.
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

Just a little warning - I light my sievert with a little gas cigarette lighter which I put out of the way once the nozzle is lit. One day I left the lighter next to the soldering block and in a moment of absent mindedness let the flame play on the lighter. A heck of a bang and my head enveloped in a ball of flame as the lighter melted and exploded in about 2 seconds.

Since then I NEVER use a lighter but a spark igniter, lesson learnt the hard way. Frightened the s**t out of me, burnt my face (not badly - more like bad sunburn) and removed eyebrows, eyelashes and first couple of inches of front of hair.

An amusing little story now but not fun at the time.
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

Had a similar situation with my new orca a few weeks ago. Appears the hose had an excess of oil/grease collected in it. Think it was probably put there by the manufacturer to prevent the hose cracking while stored. Frightened me to death when it happened (not literally!) although I managed to turn the gas off quickly. Took it into Suttons and they cleaned it out for me; it's fine now (so far).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only had this happen once and as Barry suggests, one of the joints had become lose!! I regularly check the joints on my torch, (as Barry suggests) not every time, though all joints are checked if anything has been moved/swapped!!

thank you all sooooo much for your reply,s !!!
    i thought i was the only person in the whole world (not) that this happened to !!!
    we lose perspective in our own little workshop heaven or hell !

my joints were lose !!!

thank u all muchly !!!

hi and thank you,

my nut were lose BUT since i tighted them it has been fine BUT it now also does he not going out thing when i turn off at the handle , which i might add is also pretty scary !!!

i think i might talk to cookson where i bought it only about 3 weeks ago !