Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my sievert bit me !!! (the handle caught fire)

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

When I turn off the tap on the handle it takea about 5 second for the flame to completely go out ( remant gas in the tubing burning off) - is this what you mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

Mine does this and I find it infuriating. It's only burning the gas in the torch between the flow valve and the nozzle but it seems to take about 4 seconds longer than you think it should. Breaks the natural flow of working as you have to hang onto the torch until it's safe to put down or hang up.

Mine too although it doesn't do it with the big nozzle on, only the smaller one ( which of course I use most of the time!)

My sievert just went rogue and gave me quite the fright! Flame started coming from the handle suddenly, as I turned it on. I had been using it about five minutes earlier without any problems.

I checked for leaks last week (I do this every week), and hadn't made any changes to it - although I've been using it since. It's leaking with both the regular head and the tiny one that I hardly ever use - the leak's the same place for each, on the side. I've tried cleaning it, and it's as tight as I can get it (and definitely as tight as it's been before). I can't see any damage. Any ideas on anything else I can do before I go looking for another handle?

It's a pro 86, about.... ten years old? Fairly old, anyway.

Thanks!

Marna

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

Try using PTFE tape (available from most hardware stores) which is like a very thin stretchy plastic that you wrap around the joint before screwing together. Solves most leak problems and can be used for most liquids and fuel gases, only costs a £1 or so for a roll.
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

Thanks Barry!

I have loads of PTFE tape around the place - is it safe with propane though? (The internet can't make its mind up about whether regular PTFE will be fine or EXPLODE.)

Also, the joint is not on the threads, but on the little rounded ball/ socket inside (and I can see a shiny line on both where there's usually contact). So, ptfe carefully around that I guess?

(I'm really baffled about how this has suddenly started leaking....)

Ah Barry thanks for sharing that story. I wasn't sure if that warning not to use cigarette lighters (I do) held any credence as any time I've heard of that happening its always one of those "friend-of-a-friend" type stories. Good reminder to be careful!
    - Emily

The end of the tale: I ordered a new handle and hooked that up, and the leaky problem is solved - not ideal cost-wise, but at least I'm not spilling propane under the floorboards to wait ready for an explosion, and all my torch joints are happily bubble-free again.