Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Pendant drill or micromotor?

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    That`s abit different, are they "importing" from the Foredom factory in another state or from China?
    I'm not sure, Chris, but since Otto Frei tell us that the H20 handpiece (for flex-shafts) is now made in China, I'd put my money on the second.
    Like you, I wish people would stop insisting on cheap goods with seemingly little regard for quality, but as long as a majority of people are either not very serious about their work or lack an awareness of what separates a good tool from a bad one, there's not much we can do to change matters except refuse to buy shoddy merchandise ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    FWIW, I've got 2 micromotors (and yes, sometimes I do use them both at the same time): A brushed Foredom, which has the advantage of a hammer handpiece that goes with it and a Saeshin.

The Saeshin is by far and away the better machine - it has more torque, doesn't get bogged down and is easier to control. The Foredom is a bit underpowered, but I didn't realise that until I started using NSKs and Saeshins. If the Saeshin needs work, I can take it 15 minutes up the road to Moleroda who can both service it and source replacement parts. If the Foredom needs work - well, the retailer I bought it from won't be interested in assisting, let's put it like that. I'll probably need to email Foredom directly.

If you really want to go for an inexpensive micromotor, may I suggest this one - http://www.polishingjewellery.co.uk/...og/STRONG.html It's not a bad little unit, not as good as the more expensive ones they sell but pretty good for the money (I was playing with it a week or so ago). And there is UK support.
    Thanks for the tips. Can I ask, did you get the Saeshin and NSK from Moleroda, and if not where?
    It's interesting you mention lack of power in the Foredom. I've felt this myself (when using a cutting disc among other things) even though I've nothing to compare it to. If you're using the hammer action handpiece with the Foredom I suppose you don't need oodles of power, but do other micromotors (e.g. NSK, Saeshin) not have compatible hammer handpieces you can use as well as the rotary ones? I'm assuming the Foredom MH011 isn't compatible with other micromotors, but maybe that's not so.

I'd still trust a Chinese made Foredom, they are quite capable of producing top class products for companies as well as budget rubbish..
    I'd be interested if NSK ect did hammer handpieces also.

Never had much problem with the Foredom as I know Its limits torque wise, so I don't push it..no need to.

Could also use the airgraver if needed.

Not sure if its just me being dim but I can't seem to find where to get different tips for the hammer hand piece?

Hi Peter and all,

I have decided to replace my cheapo flexshaft and Proxxon with a micromotor, but as always not sure which unit to get. I want to get a good quality one, not something that I will want to replace in a couple of years time. Of course, the budget is not huge, but I would like to at least get something mid range.

Peter, I was just wondering, what torque and "wattage" do your micromotors have, the brushed Foredom and the Saeshin? I am wondering if the newer brushless Foredom https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/brushless-micromotor is more powerful/has more torque?... Anyone have any experience of this? Hard to compare when most suppliers don't actually list out the specs propperly! Not even Foredom's web site seems to list out the specs...

I am considering the brushless one even though it will work out a fair bit more than the one you went for (the K1090 with K1070 handpiece + hammeraction handpiece?), if I want the hammer handpiece as well. But I thought that I can buy the hammer handpiece at a later date, and get the really good micromotor with brushless handpiece for now.

I have also looked at this one http://www.polishingjewellery.co.uk/...otaryTool.html, bit more than the cheaper one Peter recommended from Moleroda, but sounds like a good spec (higher torque than the brushless Foredom, sllightly lower wattage I think); anyone have any experience of this machine? And does it have the capability to take a hammer handpiece?

Cheers,
    Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by camalidesign View Post
    Peter, I was just wondering, what torque and "wattage" do your micromotors have, the brushed Foredom and the Saeshin? I am wondering if the newer brushless Foredom https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/brushless-micromotor is more powerful/has more torque?... Anyone have any experience of this? Hard to compare when most suppliers don't actually list out the specs propperly! Not even Foredom's web site seems to list out the specs...
    The Saeshin lists 7.8Ncm torque for the handpiece (Forte 100alpha El); I can't find a figure for the Foredom. Yes, it's the 1090 kit.

I have also looked at this one http://www.polishingjewellery.co.uk/...otaryTool.html, bit more than the cheaper one Peter recommended from Moleroda, but sounds like a good spec (higher torque than the brushless Foredom, sllightly lower wattage I think); anyone have any experience of this machine? And does it have the capability to take a hammer handpiece?
    PolishingJewellery and Moleroda are the same people... PolishingJewellery is trying to distil the full Moleroda catalogue down to the stuff of interest to jewellers. I'd suggest giving Amy a shout and asking her - she's a jeweller, so she can talk from the same viewpoint.

Regarding hammer handpieces ( anvils ), I got mine from Sutton Tools as a special order. Also got my diamond tipped anvil from them too.

Cheers,

Nick

Thanks Peter and Nick!

Yes, I think calling Amy then would be the thing to do, to see what the one they offer is like and if it can be used with a hammeraction handpiece. If it can I might go for that since I can get it serviced easily in the UK that way, rather than the Foredom.

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com