Thread: Enamel help please

Default Enamel help please

This may be a silly question but here goes. I have been helping a young jewellery maker with a few bits and pieces of findings and advice where I can and she would like to try enamelling with a torch. I have lots of old pots from shop days and would like to give her some samples to save her spending out to begin with. In these health and safety days are these enamels still okay to use or do they maybe contain things no longer used? I don't want to give her anything unsafe.They are at least 30 years old.

If you ask an established enameller in the UK, they will tell you that enamels from the old days are much better than modern chemically controlled enamels. The colours and the finish quality on old transparents are very good. Some enamellers would love to get access to old stock enamels.
    Check out this article on enamels safety; http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...ing-safety.htm

James

Love Lewton-Brain's understatement about hydrofluoric acid being really scary stuff.

There will be no problem.
    The 'leaded' debate that Lewton Brain refers to are simple scare mongering.
    Absolutely no-one has died from working with leaded enamels in modern times
    The only time leaded enamels would be dangerous is if you ate a pound of it.
    Just tell her they are not edible and she will be quite fine.

I even know professional enamellers who lick their brushes - not me I hasten to add! The only thing that worries me slightly is the cataract thing. I know you can get special glasses, which I haven't got, so I can't be that worried.

Thank you all for the help. Very interesting James to know that the old enamels are good. I thought I might have to throw them out and start with new stock. Reminds me of my old boss Carole, he used to lick the brush very often. He also lived on tea and fags so our working environment wouldn't pass any inspections these days.
    I'll certainly tell her not to eat any Hans.I'll sort some out for her to have a go with.She'd asked other makers for help and information on different jewellery making subjects but they didn't want to give their secrets away! Glad people are not like that on here.

Hello everyone,
    I have done a taste of enameling "No Pun Intended" and what Hans has to say is most likely true, still if this young lady is pregnant or thinking about getting so, lead has been shown to be harmfully to the unborn and children so It may be a good idea for her to wear gloves and perhaps a mask if she is pregnant or planning a family in the very near future.

Just something you may wish to tell her along with not eating it.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinofingerskins View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I have done a taste of enameling "No Pun Intended" and what Hans has to say is most likely true, still if this young lady is pregnant or thinking about getting so, lead has been shown to be harmfully to the unborn and children so It may be a good idea for her to wear gloves and perhaps a mask if she is pregnant or planning a family in the very near future.

Just something you may wish to tell her along with not eating it.
    Thank you and will do.