Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pendant drill or micromotor?

Quote Originally Posted by Keia View Post
    Hmmm, Rotation: 4,000rpm to 30,000 rpm though. One of the Marathon models is 35,000max.
    Sorry, Keia, I'm not quite sure whether you're saying that's good, bad or indifferent.

I don't have a clue, hence why I was asking.
    Sian Williamson

OK, sorry.
    I don't think that machine would be ideal for jewelry work, Keia, because it is very low on power and so would have very low torque as well. The maximum rpm is a bit academic when the power is so low. To put things into perspective I think a typical Dremel multitool has 150W of power, i.e. 10X as much.

If you didn't want to stretch to a Foredom it might be worthwhile taking a punt on the micromotor Dennis linked to or something similar. There are many models to choose from on Amazon and Ebay, or you could try getting one from a UK importer such as this one. Judging from the shaky English on their website they'll be a Chinese outfit most probably, but they're based in the UK so you'll have no import charges to pay as you may do on certain items bought direct from China on Ebay or Amazon.

Axminster do a flexshaft for less money with foot pedal http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster...ble-drive-unit and you can chooose handle. I have an older model and get good use out of that, I didn't have the cash to buy a Foredom or a Millbro... I would get the keyless chuck handle though, I have the one with a key and a small "spanner" which is a bit of a faff, but the keyless chuck handle should be better, I might actually get one for myself... Not as good as a quick change handle but a good cheaper option!

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    OK, sorry.
    I don't think that machine would be ideal for jewelry work, Keia, because it is very low on power and so would have very low torque as well. The maximum rpm is a bit academic when the power is so low. To put things into perspective I think a typical Dremel multitool has 150W of power, i.e. 10X as much.

If you didn't want to stretch to a Foredom it might be worthwhile taking a punt on the micromotor Dennis linked to or something similar. There are many models to choose from on Amazon and Ebay, or you could try getting one from a UK importer such as this one. Judging from the shaky English on their website they'll be a Chinese outfit most probably, but they're based in the UK so you'll have no import charges to pay as you may do on certain items bought direct from China on Ebay or Amazon.
    No need to be sorry. I tend to browse this forum while doing other jobs such as cooking dinner so the result is me rush typing, which in turn can be mistaken for me being a grumpy cow =)
    I've been looking at pendant motors for a long while so this thread has been great timing. I do have a Dremel, but it's such a faff as Camil pointed out with using the key to change the bits over every time. I would have a cheapy wee pendant motor or similar sitting at my bench to assist with occasional de-burring etc leaving my Dremel setup on it's workstation how it is the now for drilling and polishing
    Thankyou for the info about the torque - I didn't realise the low power meant low torque too, thinking about it it's obvious now =)
    Last edited by Keia; 06-10-2014 at 07:18 PM. Reason: spellings
    Sian Williamson

Sean that machine will definitely be lacking in torque. In other words it will stop when you press on it and render it useless. Of course when doing your nails, that would qualify as a safety feature.

Unfortunately the machine I bought is no longer listed on Amazon, although there are some on ebay that look similar. That said I would hate to be responsible for anyone here wasting their money.

I found one that claims to have 280gf.cm torque, in laymans terms is that good? There's another that's 300gf.cm torque, does the less 20 make that much difference? I'm thinking if I get this right, it may well replace my Dremel completely. The Dremel is great but my gosh it takes so long to change the shafts, especially annoying when I'm busy and quickly need to jump from one job to another. Big thanks to Enigma for starting this thread and thanks to those so far for their advice =D
    Sian Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Sean that machine will definitely be lacking in torque. In other words it will stop when you press on it and render it useless. Of course when doing your nails, that would qualify as a safety feature.

Unfortunately the machine I bought is no longer listed on Amazon, although there are some on ebay that look similar. That said I would hate to be responsible for anyone here wasting their money.
    Thanks, Danny =P
    Sian Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Thanks Tabby,

Ive just ordered one, my credit card is sulking now
    Hi Sarah,

As one who is still dithering, I'm interested to know what you went for in the end - and which make/model.

Many thanks to Dennis and all other contributors to this thread (and the one about your Marathon purchase too Dennis), it's really useful information.

Dennis: it's great to read you are so pleased with your Marathon. Does it have a model no. and what are the specific benefits that mean you now use it as your main motor?

I'm fairly certain I will go for a micro-motor, but it would have to be virtually vibration free in the hand, which may narrow the options.

Thanks again.....