Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pendant drill or micromotor?

Many thanks for the info, Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Thanks Dennis,
    I was trying to just make the seat in a hole that already had the bulk taken out with a ball burr and even then the Dremel didn't want to play at the kind of low speed Soham did his at, could also explain why I seem to blunt the burrs although of course that could just be because Im crap

Thanks very much James, thats really cool! Would it be suitable for lettering too or is it not smooth enough?
    I don't think you could engrave lettering with this type of hammer head piece. I just use it for setting stones and texturing my animal carvings.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    I was trying to just make the seat in a hole that already had the bulk taken out with a ball burr and even then the Dremel didn't want to play at the kind of low speed Soham did his at
    What Dremel have you got or what is its minimum rpm? I used to use a Dremel Multi-tool whose minimum rpm was 10,000. This made it very inconvenient for many jewelry tasks, as did the fact that you couldn't regulate the speed using your foot. I think the standard minimum rpm now on Dremels is 5000, but this is still unsuitable for some tasks.

A micromotor or flex-shaft will transform your work and stop you from beating yourself up for things that are not your fault.

Thanks James, will keep a graver on the wish list then lol, although I have booked a couple of hours engraving tuition when Im at The Studio on my stone setting course next month so hopefully that will also help me decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    What Dremel have you got or what is its minimum rpm? I used to use a Dremel Multi-tool whose minimum rpm was 10,000. This made it very inconvenient for many jewelry tasks, as did the fact that you couldn't regulate the speed using your foot. I think the standard minimum rpm now on Dremels is 5000, but this is still unsuitable for some tasks.

Its the 225, says 5000 to 35000 RPM?

A micromotor or flex-shaft will transform your work and stop you from beating yourself up for things that are not your fault.
    Thats a lovely thing to say thank you

Hi Sarah,
    I have a foredom pendant motor and a strong micro motor and use them for different purposes...my foredoom is foot controlled and I tend to use the quick release, though I also have the hammerhead and multi chuck (no.30) piece....each serves a purpose,...their frequency of use is as listed!
    The micrometer I use the dial control for a set speed, especially for setting and texturing.....

Tabby x

Thanks Tabby,

Ive just ordered one, my credit card is sulking now

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Mark has given you a pretty complete answer. I would only make the following points:

Micromotors consist of a control box, a handpiece, and an optional foot on/off switch, or an optional foot operated speed control

They are useless if they don't have sufficient torque and keep stopping when you press on them. I have read that even some expensive ones are guilty of that.

Maybe I was lucky, but I bought a Marathon one from Amazon as a standby for very much less money and liked it so much that it is now my main motor.

One other thing, looking ahead: you might one day like a hammer hand piece, for setting, texturing, or even engraving. So you would need the facility to change handpieces.
    Hi Dennis, you said you use the Marathon. I've just spied an electric nail machine that looks almost identical even though they've been made for different purposes, I'm wondering if that would work in the same way? http://www.amazon.co.uk/LOEL-Profess...c+nail+machine
    Sian Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by Keia View Post
    Hi Dennis, you said you use the Marathon. I've just spied an electric nail machine that looks almost identical even though they've been made for different purposes, I'm wondering if that would work in the same way? http://www.amazon.co.uk/LOEL-Profess...c+nail+machine
    It says power output is 15W. That should be just about enough to stir your tea, but not much else.

Hmmm, Rotation: 4,000rpm to 30,000 rpm though. One of the Marathon models is 35,000max.
    Sian Williamson