Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: October 2014 Theme Competition

Wallace beat me to a batty posting I made these last week but have been struggling with how to photograph them because (even though they have not had their final polishing because they haven't been sent for hallmarking yet) they are so shiny that they reflect everything.

Over the last few months I have been getting much more involved with bat conservation and have been doing bat box checks and bat surveys, going to netting events, attending (and running) bat walks and talks and I've also handled live bats (Pipistrelles) for the first time. This means that twilight for me is associated with bats flying and foraging.

These three items were hand-pierced from sterling silver with one or more short sections of tube soldered on the back for bails. All are currently pendants, but the middle one may end up as a brooch - or both if I can work out a suitable method.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1011269.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	6780
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

lots of lovelies this month. Those bats are brilliant Elaine - to have handled some live Pips is a great experience. Bail/brooch is something I am working on for a penguin design - I am currently thinking of something around tubing and using it a little like a hinge type mechanism to allow for a bail to sit flat on the piece or be pulled up to have a chain put through. (work in progress at the moment)

The lid of this silver box always reminds me of autumn/winter setting sun skies up here in Scotland.
    The box is lined in fine leather with rosewood in the base and comes in its own turned box with a glass lid which turns it into something else, perhaps a magical full moon

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	6781. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	6782

WOW!!! Fabuous designs.....and such variety.....I think that this month's theme is a difficult one to interpret.....you all put me to shame!! xx

So lovely to see every bodies work!
    Great entries, especially loving the bats, I do love bats!
    Its interesting that nobody has yet interpreted it as Twilight, the TV series- are you all showing your ages ? lol, include me in that one, my son mentioned it!

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Its interesting that nobody has yet interpreted it as Twilight, the TV series- are you all showing your ages ? lol, include me in that one, my son mentioned it!
    Ah but Twilight is about vampires and vampires are associated with bats in popular culture (not mentioning the real vampire bats of South America), so hey presto!
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

Lovely stuff so far!, I covet the box!

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    So lovely to see every bodies work!
    Great entries, especially loving the bats, I do love bats!
    Loving the batty pendants too. Just seen a wonderful item about bats on Channel 4's 'Sunday Brunch' of all things. Jenny Clark, the bat lady, such an enchanting expert of all things batty. If you haven't seen or heard of her, google her; she champions the humble bat so eloquently :-)

Enigma, your comment about the Twilight series sparked a research exercise. I read the books in a oner one weekend years ago, thoroughly enjoyed them and couldn't put them down. I couldn't remember any detail about jewellery but have revisited the books and have found that the main character, Bella, does indeed wear some. Funny the things you miss first time around! It also seems that there is quite an industry in replicating her jewels for the so called 'Twi-hards'. Here is what I have found in the books so far.....

Jacob, Bella’s first love, shape-shifter and werewolf, gave her a graduation present of a bracelet with a handmade wooden wolf charm. Her other love interest, Edward the 107 yr old , rich vampire, later added his own diamond heart charm. Throughout the books, both men were vying for her attentions. She ended up choosing Edward so it seems that the huge, flashy, sparkly diamond won over the lovingly handmade wooden charm. I’d like to think I would have favoured the handmade charm and chosen Jacob but diamonds can be rather persuasive!

When Edward proposes to Bella, he gives her his mother’s old ring described in the book as follows “The face was a long oval, set with slanting rows of glittering round stones. The band was gold – delicate and narrow. The gold made a fragile web around the diamonds.” Upon searching, I have found that fans were not, on the whole, very happy with the film's interpretation of this description and somewhat disappointed with her on-screen engagement ring. http://www.twilightlexicon.com/2010/...gement-ring-2/

In the film adaptations she also wears a moonstone ring on her forefinger and a silver and turquoise cuff bracelet. Maybe any Twilight Saga fans out there can throw some light on the significance of these items?

So, there you go, this weekend I have learnt two new things....jewellery does play a part in the Twilight Saga story and bats are extremely cute and purr like kittens when stroked!

Thats really interesting! think the ring would have been prettier if it was an opal though