Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Factoring your time into your jewellery costs

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    I like working on new ideas but I think I must be weird because I can get into doing repetitive stuff.
    I'm the same. I love creating new things, but also really like doing the repetitive stuff, especially with some fab music to go with it. It makes the time fly and I very often associate certain pieces I've made with the music I was listening to at the same time. Also like Carole, I have learnt new things every time I've logged on here and always make time to read, even if I rarely have time to post now....
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Yes its definitely a bad influence !
    Mind you at least we get to discover the pitfalls and which machine is best suited etc etc as well as all the other great help and advice
    Having had a 15 year break from last making, coming back and seeing so many new tools etc the forum was so helpful in being able to read up on how other people had found things and saved me a fortune. Talk about a kid in the sweet shop.

I like working on new ideas but I think I must be weird because I can get into doing repetitive stuff.
    I'm weird with you too then. Also I've got a good cold at the moment so yesterday spent the whole day making daffodil earrings as I can do them almost without thinking. I knew I needed to work but wanted something almost comforting to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    I'm the same. I love creating new things, but also really like doing the repetitive stuff, especially with some fab music to go with it. It makes the time fly and I very often associate certain pieces I've made with the music I was listening to at the same time. Also like Carole, I have learnt new things every time I've logged on here and always make time to read, even if I rarely have time to post now....
    It's 36 years since I made my first piece of jewellery but I've learnt so much since joining the forum in the last couple of years. Also it's nice to have contact with other makers as it can sometimes be a bit solitary in my cave!

Yes even I can enjoy it at times, the familiarity and the knowledge that I won't mess up because I actually know what Im doing can be comforting LOL

But I do get all excited when I get the chance to work out new designs.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    You have to be able to lock up the card when you join a forum Since joining the GETi forum a few years back especially and now this one I have bought so much new equipment I had done without for 25 years that I can barely get into my workshop now and can't wait on the new cabin! It has opened up exciting new possibilities but it has been very expensive
    I'm still coming over to stroke all your tools Caroline.
    Sian Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by Keia View Post
    I'm still coming over to stroke all your tools Caroline.
    You are welcome any time Sian, I've got a scratch on my new Durston planishing set, can't have that

Ooohh no! Is it bad? =S I'll stroke it so much that scratch will come right out.
    Sian Williamson

Lol, Keia.....join the queue

This has been a really interesting read...like everyone else, I keep on learning!!

I mostly make one offs or similar repeats, altering something to make it unique,....however I have this year also ventured down the cast route for certain pieces (which I don't have on my website, funnily enough).....but do find them therapeutic in terms of the repeated rhythm of the work.....also great if I am not in the need of something challenging....these pieces have predominately been done with fairs in mind....this year has been my venture into trying out a number of fairs....some have been great....and some haven't (some of the casting I have anticipated well..and again some I have over or underestimated)....next year will be based on more experience at least!!

I also stock a couple of galleries and a shop, the latter is my best turnover.....I think they are more proactive about selling than galleries!! Ooh, to find another 2-3 of those!!

In general terms I agree with Carin and Caroline about pricing, but also Carole....and no way have you just been 'lucky' Carole in terms of making a good living, you make beautiful items, great designs and have worked incredibly hard,....you have used techniques to reduce labour and costs and you have also listened to your market .....and thus have a successful business,....you may have had to accept some drawbacks to that, (such as the reduced satisfaction from one-offs), but it has been fantastic to see just how your business has grown!!....it doesn't seem that long ago that everyone was concerned about you (on 'the other forum') working almost 24hours at this time of year to keep up with fairs and commissions on your own (with Mr Carole's fantastic support!!)

Cor blimey....after all that...I've forgotten what else I read in this thread!!!!
    Tabby xx

Thank you Tabby. That's a huge compliment as your work is so beautiful. It's great to see people's talents and skills growing.