Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Factoring your time into your jewellery costs

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Mostly though I would die of boredom if I had to keep making the same thing so prefer the challenge of new designs even if it takes me more time.
    This.
    I don`t mind doing a few repeats, works out well money wise but that`s not a good enough reason for me.
    I`ve had day`s doing production work that payed a months bills, but not a gram of satisfaction from it.
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 08-10-2014 at 05:59 AM.

What's so great about this forum is the diversity of work and the way we earn a crust. I too feel very privileged to have this resource and not a day goes by that I don't learn something new.

I enjoy the forum very much. There's always something of interest to find.
    I didn't come back into jewellery making with a set idea just tried out a few things. I've got a certain number of venues that we go to for direct selling to the public which I feel is important and I enjoy meeting people. Photo's will never do your work justice people need to hold and see pieces. Online orders follow on from there and I also now stock a few shops.
    I have a range of castings that I use so as Carol says minimal time to finish and then also one off or more castings plus extra work pieces so keeping things interesting but also having reliable pieces that bring in the "rent" money.

Some things are bound to be slow to begin with but they do get quicker the more you do them so keep going and good luck.

It's often said ' I'm self taught and still learning' but it doesn't matter how any of us came in to this if you are still going decades on, you will still be learning. We wouldn't still be here is we weren't adding new skills and techniques, buying new equipment that requires another skill. It's what keeps it fresh and keeps us broke

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    It's what keeps it fresh and keeps us broke
    Hmmm, yes, this is the bit thats worrying me

Hmmm, yes, this is the bit thats worrying me
    You have to be able to lock up the card when you join a forum Since joining the GETi forum a few years back especially and now this one I have bought so much new equipment I had done without for 25 years that I can barely get into my workshop now and can't wait on the new cabin! It has opened up exciting new possibilities but it has been very expensive

At the risk of completely hijacking this thread, with the discussion moving on to workshops full of tools and equipment...consider Abou Bakrine......and use your feet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWIsdGJ-030

Its a long watch but fun.

Lesley
    Poor old Les

Yes its definitely a bad influence !
    Mind you at least we get to discover the pitfalls and which machine is best suited etc etc as well as all the other great help and advice

Quote Originally Posted by art925 View Post
    At the risk of completely hijacking this thread, with the discussion moving on to workshops full of tools and equipment...consider Abou Bakrine......and use your feet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWIsdGJ-030

Its a long watch but fun.

Lesley

That's an amazing video. I need to consider whether my feet would be any good.

Mostly though I would die of boredom if I had to keep making the same thing
    I like working on new ideas but I think I must be weird because I can get into doing repetitive stuff.