Thread: Complete Crimping Crisis

Default Complete Crimping Crisis

Hello All,

Really need some help! Have spent nearly all day doing same crimp over and over again and still not right. I am making an asymmetrical necklace and one half is beads threaded onto 49 strand copper Beadsmith wire. The first crimp is fine as I have the room to crimp and then move the beads into place. The second crimp I can't get right. It doesn't matter how tight I pull the wire to make sure the bead is snug against the crimp tube, I hold it hanging down vertical when I'm doing it so that the weight of the beads weighs down on the wire and there is no slack left. I doesn't matter what I do there is ALWAYS a gap between the crimp tube and the next bead where the wire shows, It's only tiny but it's there. When I look at photos of other peoples work I cannot see this gap. I don't want to use crimp covers, and even if I did I'd get the same problem somewhere. I literally can't see how to get this gap closed...or am I being too too fussy?

Way too fussy.
    As long as the crimp is neat and there are no nasty sharp edges then just leave it at that.
    Also I am assuming that the pictures you are comparing with are finished articles. I would carry on and see what you have when you are finished.

I feel your pain. :-) The fact is that your pliers are wider than your crimp and what you are probably seeing is that gap; which the pliers need to work. As the previous poster said, wait until finished before judging the result. (And crimp covers do help.)

thankyou both so much, yes I have now let it lie for a bit before continuing. I really didn't think about the width of the pliers but I don't know why as it's obvious!!

I know your dilemma all too well. It is worth noting that you normally need a little slack between bead and crimp when it's hung vertically so that the beads can sit properly when the necklace is actually put around the neck - if there is no slack, the beads push against each other and the necklace can be put under strain.
    Kym

I'm hoping for world peace but I'd also like something shiny as well...

www.kymbigwood.com