Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I could cry!

Default I could cry!

Almost finished this ring, cleaned it up ready to set the horsehair braid and found it had split inside where I had letter stamped the initials as they came very slightly over where I had drilled out the channel for the braid to go under
    Its £100 of white gold too so not a cheap mess up in terms of either time ( Im slow at stone setting) or money.
    Oh well, at least its another learning experience and the diamonds can come out and be reused.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	laurenring.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	6734

Can you point out the split before you scrap it? It may be something that can be rectified...

Thanks Peter,

I actually thought of asking you if there was anything you could do but I don't think it can be fixed as its right on the lettering and behind the stones and I also ended up having to use easy gold solder on the wire round the stones as the white gold solder panel had a low temperature.
    Its been a nightmare from start to finish tbh, the lettering is higher than I wanted too.
    But at least I can see where I went wrong with it and avoid repeating.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	splitring.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	6735

Pretty sure from the photo a bit of work with the laser would fix that. Behind the stones should be no problem and the letters can be put back after the area is repaired & filled. 9k white?

Oh damn! I already ordered the replacement gold before posting!
    Thank you so much Peter, I had no idea you and that laser were so clever!
    Cant decide what to do now as I think it really would have been better made with thicker gold ( which Ive now ordered) so even with a skilful repair Im worried it will wear through eventually in other spots?

That's a great shame, and even if it could be repaired it sounds like you're not entirely happy with the result.

Even if it's a pain and more time and money, Id remake it both for durability reasons, and for your own peace of mind on behalf of your customer.

Nick

Thanks Nick

I agree, its a really important ring and a lovely customer too.
    But Im very grateful to Peter for his suggestion and at least I know next time I mess up

Sympathy.
    valuable lessons learned on practical technique - it looks incredibly complex - but also in that old devil of the standards we set ourselves. The quality of workmanship pixie inside our heads - big bully!
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    .........that old devil of the standards we set ourselves. The quality of workmanship pixie inside our heads - big bully!
    Too true pearlescence!!!

From what you have said, you will feel better about the second version Sarah