Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aaaaaargh! what am I doing wrong?!

Default Aaaaaargh! what am I doing wrong?!

Im at my wits end trying to set a couple of inset 4mm round stones.
    I watched the Soham video on youtube on flush setting and it all looks so simple!
    So I drilled the holes out, set the seats with my stone setting burr and hey preston both stones picked up off the bench first time so according to Soham my work is almost done!
    However, not so! 2 hours later and Im still trying to go round the edges and persuade them to hold the stones
    No matter what I do the silver just doesn't seem to be going over the stones and fixing them in place

The stone needs to be at a critical depth all round in a hole just wide enough (and no more) to take the stone. Get these two details right and you can rub over the metal with just about anything and the stone will hold.
    Can you show us a picture?

Thanks Aurarius
    I don't think its too wide/narrow as it picks the stone up and holds it ?
    Depth wise I thought it was right but clearly something is wrong so maybe that
    Ive given up and put it in a bezel now so can't take pics, sorry.
    Good job Im booked on a stone setting course next month as I think I need some hands on help
    The last few I did worked out ok but today even my solder has been going everywhere except where I want it too, should have stayed in bed I think

You really must offer stones to the hole, not the other way around.
    It`s impossible to do that method on some designs & bad form.

Pressing an amethyst down on a steel workplate is hardly a good idea either

You`ll do well going to the course to get on the right track, flush setting "can" be dead easy, but it does require a fair bit of skill & accuracy especially for the burnish only method which I try to avoid when possible.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Thanks Aurarius

The last few I did worked out ok but today even my solder has been going everywhere except where I want it too, should have stayed in bed I think
    Although I can offer no help with stonesetting Sarah, we all have days when things that normally go right, go very wrong. We've all had to start something new and never stop learning imo. I've had things ping off the bench and disappear and try as I might they couldn't be found. I found the piece a few days later, but know now that trying to doggedly keep going with something when things are not going in my favour doesn't help me.

Have a break from your stonesetting for a few days and I'm sure you'll get there in the end.
    Jules

Thanks Jules

Chris, are you talking about the Soham video? you disagree with his techniques?
    I did wonder about pressing down that way so did mine on a thin soft cloth as one stone was an aquamarine.

May I ask what method you use? is there a tutorial anywhere?

Thanks

I'm also interested Chris, and you will have to be patient with us novices!

This tutorial by Alan Revere seems good when dealing with hard stones such as diamond, ruby and sapphire etc. that won't break when applying a little pressure: http://www.jckonline.com/2010/07/19/...tting-diamonds

I was taught to cut the seat first with a setting burr the same size or very slightly smaller than the stone (use a flame or round to cut bulk first to save the setting burr), then cut a small groove on one side with a bearing cutter (hart burr?) again smaller than the hole/stone, then put the stone sideways in, push it into place and burnish (the Revere tutorial tells you to cut the groove all the way around which I like the sound of).

Chris, do you push metal over by gently tapping with a hammer then or which technique do you use to secure the stone? I was shown the "hammer technique" and thought that seems more secure than just rubbing with a round burnisher...

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

Thanks for that Carin,
    According to that method I would say the hole I cut was too wide and too deep but then you can't use that method on softer stones as I was using so not sure now how one would do a flush setting correctly on soft stones?

Chris suggested looking at Ganoskins site on another thread and they have this tutorial:
    http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/gypsy-setting.htm

I guess it's a bit of a balancing act with the softer stones, to cut the seat just the right width, I've been told not to use a burr that is the same as the stone because however steady you are with your hands, it is almost impossible not to rock it slightly and the hole ends up bigger than needed. Better to start smaller and work your way up if it's still too small, or even push the smaller burr outwards a tad to increase the hole size if it is too snug.

Also, I would probably use the hammer method to get more leverage to push the metal over, just very gently and keep the burnisher moving all the time so you don't end up with a "dotted" surround.

Just my 2 pennies worth, I'm sure the experts will be along in a minute and put me right!

This thread has inspired me to go off and do some practising with some scrap and CZ!

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

Yep, I`ve been getting mixed up & posting replies in the wrong places....
    I use a combination of all you have suggested so far...whatever seems best at the time.

That may sound abit vague, but one method would leave me stranded..what works in silver & gold might not work in platinum or steel..so I need to mix & match all the various possibilities.
    One method to suit all would be nice & would make stone setting all jobs easy.

The only downside to "hammering", is messing up the surface, & it`s not always possible to clean up..so burnishing has to do.
    It`s a case of being real careful & accurate.
    Yes I disagree about pushing the job onto the stone.

You also find some coloured stones don`t have a nice defined shape (diamond cut), so they are better off in a bezel..
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 30-09-2014 at 11:22 AM.