Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bezel cup setting rattle

Moseley, Birmingham, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Default bezel cup setting rattle

Hi guys....I've recently attempted setting some stones using pre made sterling silver bezel cups....I have soldered them onto a ring and then set the stones using a pusher and then finishing with a curved burnisher....although the stones look nice once finished they still feel loose and rattle when the ring is shaken.....I tried using a bit of cardboard to elevate the stone slightly but because it is rose quartz you could see it....does anyone have any tips please....could I use a little glue maybe?
    Last edited by Kate George; 29-09-2014 at 10:10 AM.

If they rattle, the settings are probably too big for the cabs. These need to be a good snug fit before you start rubbing over, and stones are almost inevitably slightly smaller than their advertised size, meaning that the ready to use cups are almost always too large. The other problem with pre-made cups is that they tend to have a curve on the bottom edge, where stones are usually cut to a flat surface. So they can never fit snugly unless you adjust the stone, and with smaller cabs this is a real faff.

Making your own bezel settings is really very straightforward, either using strip or tube, and I suspect you'd be a lot happier with the results.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

You could, but that would be stone gluing.

It is wobbly due to either not fitting, or being uneven, or the metal is not holding it tight enough. Or a combination of any of them. I have never used cardboard, but have opened up old settings that did. (Edit) G already covered this in more detail by the time I had posted.

You still may need to get the metal down on the stone more than you have. A little thing you can do with your curved burnisher is to use the point on the edge of the metal that should be touching the stone and push down on that bit some more. Keeping an even pressure whilst turning the stone only on the inner edge to force the metal down. Pre-made cups may be thin and or fragile, so just keep a watch on how it reacts with the pressure. Don't be afraid to push down, just be careful.

Moseley, Birmingham, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Yes I am definitely going to make my own settings in future....seemed like an easy option I've realised I've just spent more time on sorting them out....in mean time think I've sorted this particular ring by placing some silver wire around the bottom edge of the cup to slightly elevate the stone... Thanks so much for your replies and so fast as well :-)

Hello,
    I did a blog article on bezels for Cookson Gold a while back, hope it might be of some use
    http://www.cooksongold.com/blog/jewe...autiful-bezels

I have heard about this 'cardboard' before but could not figure out whether it is frowned upon or not. I also detect a negative vibe with 'stone gluing - was once told that a good setting is any secure setting provided it has not been glued. Could you enlighten me a bit on these issues?

Cardboard & glue is for blue Peter projects.
    Silver foil used to be popular for backing if required & better for clear stones.
    That said, a tight stone without glue doesn't necessarily mean a job well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    Cardboard & glue is for blue Peter projects.
    I only use *single* sided sticky tape for some bezels, thank you
    (and even then only for hammering)

Thanks, almost had hot tea coming out of my nose reading that Peter.
    If anyone has a jamjar full of white glue with a shaving brush in it on their bench..bin it now!

Well I've binned the shaving brush as you said Chris, but how do I apply the glue now?