Thread: Happy and not happy

Default Happy and not happy

So I made this with sterling silver D wire and a rose gold 0.8mm round wire for the bezel.
    Drilled out for an inset then soldered the wire around, set the 4mm Morganite and then shaped the bezel.
    Im happy because I finally understand how to push the thicker bezel round- thanks to a tip on here about using a hammer
    But not happy because to my eye it looks perfect but to my camera it isn't
    I really want my microscope to arrive now !
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	morganitering2.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	6663

It's an interesting ring Sarah, but on my screen about seven times larger than life, so no wonder some snags show up. In fact my real problem is with the reflections from whatever the ring is sitting on. What is that stuff, muesli? ;-)

hi please can you tell me where the tip about using a hammer for setting is? thanks

Lol! Dennis !
    Its granite, it has come out rather strong on this hasn't it, I normally photograph later in the day when the sun is at an easier angle.

Carrie, Im sorry I can't remember which thread it was now, Ive read quite a few on stone setting.
    It was just that you can use light taps on a bezel pusher if you need to with thicker bezels.
    Just be sure to secure the ring well- I had mine on a mandrel clamped in a vice and be very careful positioning as you don't want to slip onto the stone or setting.
    I also found that I had to get the bezel partially secured first otherwise the tapping action made the stone jump out so I used the pusher with a rocking action and a lot of hand pressure to do that.
    No idea if thats right or wrong though as Ive had zero instruction!

Quote Originally Posted by carrie View Post
    hi please can you tell me where the tip about using a hammer for setting is? thanks
    There seems to be a misconception here about this. If you whack a rub down bezel with a hammer, it might help to set the stone. On the other hand it might slip and break the stone instead.

What you are meant to do is brace the other side against something firm like your bench peg, and then use a setting punch. This is like a bezel pusher without the wooden handle, so that you can tap it more effectively.

Obviously holding the piece, the punch and the hammer without fumbling is quite difficult, so at the college I attend part time, it is a common sight to see the tutor holding and the student tapping with a woodpecker effect.

This works quite well, but I have not gone down that route, as I like to be self sufficient. Dennis

The ring looks lovely, maybe you're being overly critical of your own work and can see your flaws where others won't even notice? =)
    Sian Williamson

thanks both of you

To my eye the ring looks great so well done!

For months now I've been venturing down the stone setting route, and as well as the obligatory mishaps, its proving an interesting and fruitful journey!

Quick question if you dont mind me asking, but how did you achieve the channelled out groove part on the ring shank?

Cheers,

Nick

Thanks Nick!
    Yes, stone setting, certainly my biggest challenge so far! But I do like it.

I cheat a bit with the groove, the straight ones like this my husband does on his milling machine.
    I did cast them from wax originally but in my Delft clay that involves a lot of grinding/sanding afterwards as it doesn't come out clean enough, although you could probably get nice clean casts by sending them off for lost wax casting.