Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assay Office London's post bags

Default Assay Office London's post bags

For my past few packets, I've been merrily using the supplied RMSD bags; they're supposed to provide a better rate than I could get at the post office.

I've just seen my invoice for the latest packet and I've been billed £9.55 + VAT for the privilege. Which is a peculiar definition of better rate; had I posted this myself, I'd have been billed £7.15 total (sub £500 value, by 1300 next day).

This is on top of having my entire bloody packet lasered, despite my putting "please laser" on only the pieces I wanted lasered; I thought I'd got that rectified, but the credit note doesn't even cover 2 of the rings that should have been hand marked (no idea why they were billed at £7 + VAT for 2 rings). Not the first time this has happened either.

Not amused.

Lord! This doesn't sound good...I'm sorry you've had this happen Peter. If you'd like to PM me all the details, packet numbers etc I'll get this sorted out for you.

Thank you Steve; I appreciate mistakes happen - I did ask what I could have done to make things clearer, the answer was "Nothing"!

hmmm....let me check it out. I've got your pm, so let's see how I can sort this for you.

Have spoken to Adam this am, whom I believe took charge of your original enquiry and he will be contacting you to talk you through everything. Please let me know if all is OK following this...

OK, just got off the phone to Adam and there are some recommendations:

1. Group all your items requiring struck marks together.
    2. Similarly, group all your items requiring laser marks together.
    3. Indicate which items are to be struck on the hallnote.
    4. Writing "please laser" on items to be lasered does not affect the marking process, so that's fine.

As for the RMSD... I should have been told that the insurance value on the service is £2.5k regardless, which is why the charge for that was way in excess of what I could have paid for it had I purchased it myself.

Glad to hear Peter that you've got some clarity now...I understand Adam is organising a further credit for your account too, so I hope all is OK now. I believe the other offices require you to split goods that require laser and struck marks and put them on separate hallnotes which I imagine might incur two separate "minimum charges"? Perhaps others could confirm this, but that's what I've heard......

Adam did make mention of the possibility of tick boxes to improve clarity too, which I would view as a benefit.

Yes we're always looking at ways to improve the hallnote,so we're certainly looking at that. We're also happy to hear all your views on the hallnote to see if you think there are ways we can improve it..so please let me know.

A tick box for 3d vs 2d would be good as well if there's room - there's been a number of times where I have ended up forgetting to spec 3d and landed myself with shallow marks as a result.