Thread: Learning micropave

Default Learning micropave

Hi people. Just want to share my resent work with you. This is the new technique for me. I have made a few pieces in silver for practicing and this one is the first one in gold.
    Morganite and 1mm diamonds, 14k yellow gold. Handmade, no casting. Took 8-10 hours this time.
    Hope to combine filigree and micropave one day.
    Stone settings self taught mostly from forums and youtube so open for your critics and advice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails morganite-diamond-14k-gold.jpg   morganite-diamond.jpg  
    Last edited by Dmitrii; 27-09-2014 at 10:54 PM.

It's a bit far away, but it looks good, Dmitrii.
    Presumably the 1mm diamonds are grain-set, are they? What kind of graver did you use to raise the grains?
    What optics do you work with?
    I like the fact that you've used yellow gold to hold the diamonds; it makes a change from white gold and platinum.

Similarly, about all I can say is it looks good at that range. Is the time it took for the whole thing or just the setting?

Just finishing up 3 rings myself - 2 full-set (54 & 55 1.0mm stones) in 18K white gold and 1 half-set (22 1.3mm stones in 18KY).

That looks lovely to me Dmitri. I'd like it better with a coloured stone though, but that's just me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pearl-ring.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	6667Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crop.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	6668
    I don't really know what grain-set is. I use a ball burrs and cylinder burr 0.6mm, bevel 2-0 graver to clean up. I have Olympus scope with 0.5 barrow lens that gives me 150mm working distance. There is another ring with close up shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    It's a bit far away, but it looks good, Dmitrii.
    Presumably the 1mm diamonds are grain-set, are they? What kind of graver did you use to raise the grains?
    What optics do you work with?
    I like the fact that you've used yellow gold to hold the diamonds; it makes a change from white gold and platinum.

I would love to see the photos of your settings Peter.
    Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Similarly, about all I can say is it looks good at that range. Is the time it took for the whole thing or just the setting?

Just finishing up 3 rings myself - 2 full-set (54 & 55 1.0mm stones) in 18K white gold and 1 half-set (22 1.3mm stones in 18KY).

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    That looks lovely to me Dmitri. I'd like it better with a coloured stone though, but that's just me.
    The stone is actually pink however the colour could be more reach.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitrii View Post
    I don't really know what grain-set is. I use a ball burrs and cylinder burr 0.6mm, bevel 2-0 graver to clean up. I have Olympus scope with 0.5 barrow lens that gives me 150mm working distance. There is another ring with close up shot.
    Ah, cool - I suspect we're using very similar techniques. Are you carving the sidewalls and between the stones with the cylinder burr? Not sure I'd feel the need to use a graver in that style, but whatever works.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitrii View Post
    I would love to see the photos of your settings Peter.
    Yeah... Me too I keep sending stuff out without taking the extra time to photograph it. Next lot, hopefully!

Looking good Dmitrii
    Grain setting, bead setting..same thing.
    Also becomes abit of a grey area like on your rings, as they are becoming like mini claws when on the edge of something.