Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hallmarking of multiple metals

Default Hallmarking of multiple metals

I have followed the hallmarking discussion with Hans with interest and would like some clarity if possible. I have made a filigree pendant consisting of a sterling frame and fine silver filigree with a handmade fine silver chain and sterling clasp.

Since the total metal weight is in excess of 7.5g I will get this hallmarked - the first time I will use this service.

Will everything be hallmarked as 925 or will it be marked as 999 and 925?

Frans

SteveLAO will answer this on Monday, but unless things have changed, I would say the lower silver content wins and it would be marked as 925.

If the chain is not permanently attached to the pendant it can be hallmarked as a separate item, or not according to its weight.

What interests me more is that you chose to make your chain in fine silver. Do you think that will work? Dennis.

Hi Denis
    I have attached the chain permanently and fine silver makes up the larger portion of metal used by far. The chain is "woven" together with closed 999 loops which ensures structural strength - I thinks the type of chain is called Roman Chain. I much prefer working with 999 since it has much less 'hassle' than 925 which I have to use where rigidity is required. Personally I do not mind the 999 'marked down' to 925 since I get some satisfaction from exceeding the stated standard. I do think, however, that whoever wears a piece will like to know that pure silver has been used in the construction. The monetary difference is not much but having a pure silver chain sounds so much better than having a sterling chain. Anyway, do I think the fine silver chain will work - it is strong and looks like a braided square silver rope of about 4mm x 4mm.

Frans

Hi Frans, it sounds good. I hope you will soon be able to post pictures of your work.

I agree that even the meanest rubbish on a market stall is sometimes ticketed as sterling silver. But the word in English is sometimes used to signify other attributes, such as worth or reliability, so anything labelled sterling gains a certain cachet. Regards, Dennis.

think Dennis is right. Whenever I make fine silver rings/pendants, there are usually some sterling elements (setting or wire) and I get them done as 925

Hi Frans,

I think that the significant factor between these purities is if they are "distinguishable to the man in the street" and I don't think that 925 and 999 meet that criteria...as Dennis says, SteveLAO will provide certainty for you.

Tabby x

If you are using different finenesses (is that a word?!!) of the same metal you will just get one hallmark relating to the lowest fineness of metal used. So in your case when you are using 925 and 999 silver, you will get one hallmark for 925 only. The "man in the street" reference relates to using completely different metals, not the same metal but just different finenesses. Here you must be able to tell which metal is which, for example white gold, platinum and silver all joined together would be a no-no, but yellow gold, copper and silver would be fine, as you can easily tell the difference.
    As Dennis rightly mentions, if the pendant is easily detachable from the chain (i.e. you don't need some pliers to twist the jump ring open!) then both pendant and chain can be viewed as separate items and although I guess they would be both underweight with reference to hallmarking regulations, you could if you wanted to get the pendant hallmarked sterling and the chain hallmarked fine silver anyway?

Ah, just re read your post and spotted your using sterling findings on a fine silver chain.....you will need to leave us somewhere on the chain to mark it, as obviously we can't mark sterling fittings as fine silver!
    Last edited by SteveLAO; 29-09-2014 at 08:46 AM.

Thank you for everybody's responses to this - it is highly appreciated and I now have a better understanding of the whole issue.

SteveLOA - Would I be allowed to describe it as 'fine silver filigree in sterling frame complete with fine silver chain hallmarked as 925'? This is not really important but I am curious?

if it is over the 7.78g threshold and you've got it hallmarked (presumably Sterling silver), then you can only describe it as detailed in the hallmark. If it is underweight, then you would not contravene the hallmarking act, but you would need to comply with trades descriptions regulations....

SteveLOA

Got that - describe 925 hallmarked item as 925 only. With regards to the trades description act... I would think my description, although very long-winded, meets all the requirements of the act. (the way I understand it at least)
    Thanks again to everyone - I am starting to see the value from being part of a forum.

Frans