Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: JoolTool

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

would it be worth trying these?

Dem's the ones Wallace. They do look good. I decided, in for a penny, in for a pound and ordered some from Rio Grande. It's been an expensive weekend. That's what happens when you're laid up with gastric flu.

Looks really interesting Carole! Despite the very cheesy videos...

Also interested in hearing your views as I don't have a proper polishing machine yet and have been thinking about getting one (the Durston), still use my flexshaft for polishing...

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

You will love getting a big polisher Carin, it's like night and day to a flexishaft. I've had a Dustmaster for quite a few years and would probably have gone for a smaller one with extraction had they been available at a good price. I would go for a double spindle if you can afford it, it does save time and means you can go between the 2 mops when you have to without stopping and changing

I would hold off though until I get my amazing new tool!

Thinking about it, apart from the fact that her videos are a bit cheesy, are people sceptical because she's a woman and an attractive one at that? If Phil Poirier (or insert the name of any jewellery tool maker) had been a woman, would we never have taken him/her seriously? Are we guilty of being sexist here? Do we think women are unable to also be engineers?

No Carole, if a man had been stood there in his tuxedo, or half naked......it's the inappropriateness of dress, nails, hair that made me grin.......the fact that she is an attractive female just adds to the cheesiness,.....so maybe!!

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I would hold off though until I get my amazing new tool!

Thinking about it, apart from the fact that her videos are a bit cheesy, are people sceptical because she's a woman and an attractive one at that? If Phil Poirier (or insert the name of any jewellery tool maker) had been a woman, would we never have taken him/her seriously? Are we guilty of being sexist here? Do we think women are unable to also be engineers?
    Of course. In 20 years of working as an engineer, I've never met a single female engineer. Not one. We thought we had one, but it turned out to be a bloke in drag. [/sarcasm]
    (Actually, the last bit has an element of truth to it, but I digress)

No, I've listed some of the reasons I think the tool is suspect - I think it is a gimmick when all's said & done. It cannot deliver the power of a full-size polishing motor at 12VDC which is a significant concern. I'd be as sceptical if it were Phil Poirier, Lee Marshall or anyone else; it's not carved in stone and if I can be shown that my concerns were not well-founded then great, re-evaluate.

Maybe it doesn't need that much power. If you watch her grinding that ruby, she turns it right down so it looks like it's hardly turning, yet it still seems to work.

For stone work, fine - you can't generally have the heat buildup. Low & slow is important.
    Polishing compounds need a minimum linear surface speed to behave properly and if the motor can't handle the loading it can't cut.

Added - tool sharpening is another one where you can do without the heat buildup; steel tools will lose temper if they heat too much, which is why working with hardened steel on a wheel grinder needs them to be dipped in water repeatedly. Carbide should never be dipped though; it's likely to crack if that happens.
    Last edited by ps_bond; 29-09-2014 at 08:38 AM.

Loving this thread! Will be very interesting to hear your findings Carole! I am quite interested in the JoolTool for cutting and polishing stones as I was thinking of getting something for that next year. I particularly like the bit where she polished a stone in place, which would come in handy if you accidentally put a bit of a scratch or some dulling to the stone once set (happens for me sometimes and is really annoying!). I was hoping to get the flat lap machine George recommended in my other thread. The JoolTool machine does some things but isn't a flatlap or a saw, but I guess I could have both!

Thanks Caroline, yes I know you are right, just not had the cash to spend on one. Also, most of my work is either patina'd or brushed so I haven't had a massive need for a better polisher. I would like a double spindle one for just those reasons, I am lazy and things would be quicker, having one end with cutting compound and one for final polish. And extraction I think is crucial too. Will have a good look around next year for a good one. I will probably be back for advice then! Carole should have had a good go with her new toy by then!

Look forward to hearing about the "wonder machine"!

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com