Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A foreigner's questions on Hall Marking

Default A foreigner's questions on Hall Marking

I make a range of titanium jewellery out of titanium, silver and gold.
    Attachment 6644
    Like this and
    Attachment 6645
    this.

So what I do is stamp all the metals that I used on the back, that is 14kt,titanium and 925.

A friend told me that these would not be allowed to be sold in the UK like that, because they are not assayed.

Basically, they must be unstamped and the description is not allowed to include the words gold or silver.

Tell me this is not true--please...

Steve will probably be along later, but that'd need to be assayed & stamped gold + silver + metal in that order (assuming my understanding of conversations about mokume gane is correct).

Otherwise it's yellow metal, white metal and titanium to comply with legislation which does undermine the value of the piece somewhat.

If you want to sell these items in the UK and describe them as being of gold and silver, subject to the weight of the item you'll need to have it hallmarked before you can sell it.
    You will get a full hallmark for the lowest value metal first, followed by a part mark for the higher value metal. So in your case, you'd get the full silver hallmark, followed by a gold part mark, followed by " +METAL" for the titanium part. This of course is assuming that it is easy for the "man in the street" to easily identify which metal is which, (usually by colour). For example, if you chose to use white gold with silver then you would not be able to get that hallmarked, nor could you sell it with a description that it's made of gold and silver.
    The stamps that you put on your work are not sufficient to allow you to sell them in the UK as being made of precious metal. They will need to be submitted to an assay office.

Oops - back asswards!

That's amazing.
    I have never actually realized what this hallmarking business is.
    I have researched a bit more and as I see it, it is basically a method to keep some jobsworth with salary while he ensures that your 9 kt gold is pure.( the irony is strong in this one)
    I imagine then that if one makes multi metal jewellery with a reasonable amount of street cred ( as in stamped METAL doesn't cut it) and one were to want to sell it in the UK, (which I want to do) it would be better to stamp it simply "meevis.com" and be done with it?
    That way the client could simply go to my web site and read all the materials the object is made from.
    Basically, is one allowed to sell unstamped articles that are made from precious metals?

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

Default A foreigner's questions on Hall Marking

You can sell it in the UK but cannot sell it described as gold, silver, platinum etc UNLESS it is hallmarked.

Each metal type has a weight limit so, for example, if it is sterling silver below 6.7 grams total weight then you can sell it without a Hallmark described as Sterling Silver without breaking the hallmarking regulations.

However if it is less than 6.7 grams and is described as Sterling Silver but is in actuality NOT sterling silver then you are breaking the Description of Goods Act.

This is my understanding - I am sure that if I have made any substantive errors someone will correct me.

A little unfair to call the Assay Offices jobsworths (i know you were being ironical) - the one thing you can be sure of is that if a precious metal is hallmarked in the UK then it REALLY is what it says it is. With gold at about $1200 an ounce it is essential to know that your hard earned cash is paying for the real thing.
    Last edited by BarryM; 25-09-2014 at 04:35 PM.
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

7.87 grammes for silver and 1 gramme for gold.
    I think its a good thing tbh as its guaranteeing UK precious metals are as claimed

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

Well if we want to be picky I think you will find it is 7.78 grammes for Silver.
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Meevis View Post
    I have researched a bit more and as I see it, it is basically a method to keep some jobsworth with salary while he ensures that your 9 kt gold is pure.( the irony is strong in this one)
    Hans, even the most impecunious beginners get themselves registered for hallmaking, to add authority to their claim that they are using real silver or gold for instance. What is more, customers here expect it.

In fact the assay offices are all that stand between us and all the tricks under the sun. So I for one would protest at the term jobsworth applied in this context'

No hard feelings, just my personal view. Dennis.

I wasn't being picky but there is a big difference between 6.7 grammes and 7.78 grammes , so sorry for my typo I must try harder