Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just a thought about selling ...

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

Default Just a thought about selling ...

I am a newcomer to jewellery making, but one theme that occurs again and again is the inadequacy of "corporate" websites to offer a suitable market place for quality hand crafted jewellery.

ETSY and NotOnTheHighStreet seem to be the most commonly used but, according to several posts, it appears that they also sell mass produced and imported jewellery, which somewhat "dilutes" the craftsman side of jewellery making.

Has anyone considered setting up a group website for craft jewellers ONLY to market and sell their products and "bespoke" services. There would seem to be enough people on this forum alone, who together, could provide input to a web design and also control those who are allowed to sell on such a site.

Any thoughts? I would be quite willing to co-ordinate any of those who may be interested or think that this has "legs" - I was a project manager heavily involved in IT before I retired last year (albeit nothing to do with jewellery).

Shoot me down in flames if this has been suggested before, but it has been ticking over at the back of my mind for the last month or so.

The fundamental aim would be to provide an excellent market place for craft jewellers exclusively controlled and owned by its "members".
    Last edited by BarryM; 24-09-2014 at 08:58 AM.
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

There is a site by the name of jewelstreet that might be an answer for those doing one-off bits.

It's a great idea, but there are a few others attempting it. Uk Handmade for one.
    The problem with the big guys like Etsy & NOTHS is exactly that - They're huge & everyone knows them, so they have both the money & the big brand behind them.
    Have you seen the sheer amount of advertising NOTHS is doing at the moment? It's on the TV every time you switch it on!

I don't know whether any of the others are "cooperatives" though?

Alan Hadley tried a few years ago but I don't think it really got off the ground. Jewelstreet might be a good option as it's established and there are some good jewellers on there. I've no idea how successful it is. They've asked me a couple of times but I can't be on NOTHS as well unfortunately. It might be a good place to sell your one-offs Carin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    There is a site by the name of jewelstreet that might be an answer for those doing one-off bits.
    Jewelstreet is also similar. I am on there but you will also find larger brands. Odissa was established for guild of jewellery designer members but I got the feeling it could not compete with the marketing budgets of those mentioned.
    Last edited by art925; 24-09-2014 at 12:44 PM.
    Poor old Les

Jewelstreet passes my acme crap seller test!

Les, how does the accreditation process work? When they say they only take professional jewellers, do they check qualifications etc?

I can only tell you about the process how it was for me, I can assume it's the same for etsy and NOTHS or any other online marketplace; Complete questionaire and forward chamber of commerce and tax details, I have no qualifications for them to assess, but I do not consider this to distinguish professionalism
    Last edited by art925; 24-09-2014 at 02:38 PM.
    Poor old Les

Quote Originally Posted by art925 View Post
    I can only tell you about the process how it was for me, I can assume it's the same for etsy and NOTHS or any other online marketplace; Complete questionaire and forward chamber of commerce and tax details, I have no qualifications for them to assess, but I do not consider this to distinguish professionalism
    cheers Les. Do they even have Chambers of Commerce any more?

Yes, Chambers of Commerce exist but do not join. Complete waste of money. They employ very slick recruiters though.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

the other half used to work for the London Chamber of Commerce eons ago before it went down the pan, which is why I asked.