Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just a thought about selling ...

Quote Originally Posted by art925 View Post
    Jewelstreet is also similar. I am on there but you will also find larger brands. Odissa was established for guild of jewellery designer members but I got the feeling it could not compete with the marketing budgets of those mentioned.
    There have been a few that have tried, "Made by Hands of Britain" was another, as Les says, there are some big guys out there that are established and well funded, ...I've recently set up my "Boutique" (yes...Boutique) on Jewelstreet, I was accepted some time ago (18 months+) and got round to doing something about it when they said that they were going to be charging (£200 I think) for set-up, made sure I got in before the deadline...

Do you mind me asking how long you have been on there Les?...and if it has produced any sales??

The quality of jewellers does seem to be pretty good at the moment, and it is purely jewellery focussed, there are some well known names on there, hopefully they will stick to their guns and not go for mass produced "stuff". That said I'm not sure how keen they are on 'one-offs'...waiting for an answer!!

I don't have any formal qualifications for them to assess either.....filled in the application,...etc

Tabby x

Well I am registered with the Kamer van Koophandel Rotterdam, which is necessary if you want to own a business, be professional. Without a kvk register you cannot buy gold or register with a hallmarking organisation. It helps set aside hobbyists with professionals.
    Last edited by art925; 24-09-2014 at 06:59 PM.
    Poor old Les

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    There have been a few that have tried, "Made by Hands of Britain" was another, as Les says, there are some big guys out there that are established and well funded, ...I've recently set up my "Boutique" (yes...Boutique) on Jewelstreet, I was accepted some time ago (18 months+) and got round to doing something about it when they said that they were going to be charging (£200 I think) for set-up, made sure I got in before the deadline...

Do you mind me asking how long you have been on there Les?...and if it has produced any sales??

The quality of jewellers does seem to be pretty good at the moment, and it is purely jewellery focussed, there are some well known names on there, hopefully they will stick to their guns and not go for mass produced "stuff". That said I'm not sure how keen they are on 'one-offs'...waiting for an answer!!

I don't have any formal qualifications for them to assess either.....filled in the application,...etc

Tabby x
    I have been with them quite some time. I am unable to register with other UK based online sites as I am no longer UK based. It was a business decision we took to provide a UK arm to our business; it would cost hundreds a month alone to SEO especially with an IP address outside of the UK, they have a huge marketing budget and although it is all jewellery, the competition is healthy with mostly normal expected pricing from professionals. I do well with my UK sales and the commission is taken at source when they transfer the sales. There are larger brands Buddha to Buddha and the like, but I don't worry about them, I just concentrate on my own business. It works for me, I wish you well with your experience with them, you say you have been accepted so all will be fine, my work is far from the norm, I think they like the mix.
    Last edited by art925; 24-09-2014 at 07:04 PM.
    Poor old Les

Good to hear Les, thanks for the reply

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

OK thanks to everybody for the input, there is obviously no significant appetite to move away from the current web marketing faciltities. Back to the drawing board 😜
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

Quote Originally Posted by BarryM View Post
    OK thanks to everybody for the input, there is obviously no significant appetite to move away from the current web marketing faciltities. Back to the drawing board ��
    There probably is, but it's that thing of competing with the big boys which inevitably results in having to go the reseller route like etsy.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryM View Post
    OK thanks to everybody for the input, there is obviously no significant appetite to move away from the current web marketing faciltities. Back to the drawing board ��
    I think there probably is too but there are probably all sorts of reasons that many of us don't bother. I've had the etsy thing to set up for months but I know how much time it takes to keep my FB page going which is really a complete waste of time for me sales wise and I just think oh God a photo from every angle for etsy, measurements, weights etc etc and I just can't be bothered. Not a great attitude to have and I need a good kick up the a...

Online marketplace selling platforms are hard to get going and even harder without a shed full of money behind you to promote them, but Odissa will make it one day, I can feel it in my water and have faith in her :-)

She's due for an upgrade this month along with the main guild of jewellery designers site, the designer directory was done today. Odissa has a page one google ranking for 'jewellery marketplace' and others are creeping up nicely, it's only a matter of time before it kicks in so it's looking quite promising now. We'll be removing non jewellery related products to make it a dedicated online jewellery marketplace and we'll probably be swapping over to a commission on sales basis as opposed to a fixed price subscription, we haven't thought that far ahead yet :-) It might be that we offer a choice of an extra Gold membership that allows listing products on Odissa and a commission basis for non Gold members, lots of things to think about :-)
    Last edited by geti-titanium; 04-11-2014 at 12:02 AM.

I recently set up my own site with emy wife its called forthemanilove.com as we got fed up with ETSY opening the doors to everyone and their mothers. We totally agree that you need very deep pockets to set up your own site, but we are building the site up slowly, and increasing what we spend slowly as well to make sure we don't end up flushing huge amounts of money down the toilet for little or no return. We are more than happy to look at anyone on here who produces Male orientated jewelry.

I just had a look at your website Paul. Looks nice.
    Under what law are you operating? Your legal page looks as if it was just lifted from another website. If you are going to operate under EU law you are way outside the legal requirements and if you are hoping for most sales in Europe your Dubai base could be a problem. There is a very complicated branch of the law called conflict of laws (under what legal system does this dispute fall?) and I can see you spending a lot of money just sorting that out before any dispute is even looked at.
    With you in Dubai and the jurisdiction not clear it would not be wise for any EU businesses to get involved
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk