Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts on how to set this?

Default Any thoughts on how to set this?

Its only me asking questions again, sorry

Ive been commissioned to do a somewhat unusual pendant ( for me anyway) and have most of it worked out but not quite sure how best to set the stone.
    The silver will be cast probably so can be shaped to fit around but the stone is to be an emerald which I was thinking of drilling and putting silver wire through from top to bottom but any better ideas appreciated.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kevinpendant.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	6634
    This is the emerald:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pearemerald.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	6635

Thanks

Hi Sarah,

If you try to drill those emeralds, you will almost certainly break them as they are the most fragile of stones.

The most basic way to set them is to make a back plate of the same shape, with some of the middle cut out to allow the culet (if there is one) to pass through and make a seat for the girdle. This will leave you with a narrow backing frame, which can be slightly domed, or if made in wax adapted to the back of the stone.

Then just 4-5 claws, or a soft (soldered on) bezel to rub down, being very careful of the pointy ends. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 22-09-2014 at 07:44 AM.

I agree with Dennis, emeralds are very fragile and expert setters often make mistakes and chip them while setting. I cannot visualise the pendant design you show. If you can do a pencil sketch we may be able to give better advice on methods of adding the emerald.

James

Another one here who wouldn't try to alter the stones at all.

I think I can see the effect you're after, but with the sharp edges to the stones, I suspect a bezelled edge attached to the 'stem' at the bottom would probably be the way to go. Simply make a ring of fine silver to fit around the edge of the entire stone, solder it to the stem, and rub over both sides - which would protect the stone to an extent and also allow it to be free standing. Alternatively, a cage with claws front and back might work, but the tip would be vulnerable.

I don't know if you're planning to add the 'petals' in silver, but this could easily be incorporated with a bezel.

Thanks very much Dennis James and George
    I can't set it into a bezel as he wants the pointed end to be clear of the silver but a claw setting could work I think as the silver can come just past the widest point.
    Im wondering now if I should have got something other than emerald but couldn't find anything else the right shape and colour
    I do at least have spare so can afford to mess up a bit.
    Last edited by enigma; 22-09-2014 at 08:38 AM.

So do you guys think the emerald is just going to get broken if the tip is left exposed ad the customer wants?
    Should I maybe try and find a synthetic stone?

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    So do you guys think the emerald is just going to get broken if the tip is left exposed ad the customer wants?
    Should I maybe try and find a synthetic stone?
    Can you not tension set it into place? Or, as G suggests, make it with a pressure setting.

You have a wider choice if you go for a synthetic or grown, and probably could get an amazing vibrancy from using a cZ.

Thanks Wallace

Where would be the best place to look for the right shape CZ ?
    Ive not found anything yet but may well be a better idea.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Thanks Wallace

Where would be the best place to look for the right shape CZ ?
    Ive not found anything yet but may well be a better idea.
    Hope it is useful. Not sure if this is any good?
    http://www.wardgemstones.com/pear-cu...a-peridot.html

Thanks Wallace

Peridot is the wrong colour green for the customer, what about Alpinite? would that be more robust?