Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any thoughts on how to set this?

Thanks Wallace and Tabby I will go back and speak with the customer I think, so frustrating!

They will be happier in the end Sarah,....your advice regarding what is possible, limitations and any risks is protecting their investment (as well as protecting you from complaints and additional costs)...

You are right thanks Tabby,
    Its just frustrating because I know he wants it *exactly* as it is in the photos.
    I have just found a resin mould on Cookies though which I think may do the job ! not been able to find faceted ones before.

What about a wire 'basket setting' as per the suggestion from Tabby with a solid 'V' shaped tip on the end?

That way it would allow a lot of light through the stone, and protect the fragile tip part.

Other than Wards, gemcollector is another good site for stones and the product images are extrememly well laid out so you can tell pretty much exactly what you're buying beforehand.

Failing that, it may just be a case of asking the customer to be realistic and explaining the pitfalls of using an emerald ( I.E. the fragility ) and then perhaps suggesting another stone. Ultimately though its your customers money isnt it, but if it were me I'd make the scenario cystal clear in order to avoid any future complaints if the stone chipped!

Nick

Thanks Nick ,

They really didn't want anything around the point of the stone so we have gone for making it in resin.
    Not easy given that its faceted and I couldn't find a suitable mould anywhere! ( Cookies do one but it was too big ).
    Nearly done now though, just waiting for the 'gem' to finish curing.

Finally got them both finished!
    the customer is happy so thats the main thing The resin 'stones' are also quite robust, Ive dropped them several times, just to er, check LOL
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kevinpendantredcord.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	6774
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kevinpendantpurplecord.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	6775