Thread: Durston polishing motor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Durston polishing motor

Yesterday I spent a pleasant afternoon polishing. Yes, really. Don't look so surprised. I didn't cover the surrounding area with polish, I don't have the usual polish lines around the edges of my dust mask and all the debris is safely collected (which includes some lemel in amongst it).

I was using my newly-purchased Durston polishing motor; I've been mulling switching to a motor with extraction for a while now, and this seemed to fit the bill.

It'll take up to 6" buffs, which means my larger polish flinger is going to be decommissioned as well; it has forced air extraction that doesn't suck (well, it does, but never mind); it has a light built-in so you can see how things are progressing; it's got a lipped top so you can put stuff on top (polishes, items about to be polished, that kind of thing) and it's heavy enough not to wander around during use. I've not yet sorted out replacement filters for it, although I suspect that cooker hood filters will probably fit the bill. The steel construction means it weighs in at 24kg, but it does feel very solid. The interior is easy to clean out - I used a 2" paintbrush (I'll probably glue a magnet to it so it can live on the side of the machine), sweeping the stray debris into the extraction vents. I'd probably like it if the spindle were fractionally longer so I had more room to the left, but that's not all that critical.

All in all, a really nice piece of kit. Costly, but less so than equivalent products @ £599 + VAT (and yes, I *would* have liked the current 15% off more than the 10% from earlier in the week!). http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-998-AX9

(And if anyone was wondering, sorry - my old polishing motor has already been sold!)

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Costly, but less so than equivalent products @ £599 + VAT
    Yes, both of Elma's single spindle offerings for example are a lot pricier, even the diminutive Polini. Actually, I don't know who'd buy their Unispeed Polisher (£1472 at Walsh's) when their twin-spindle Multispeed is only a smidgeon dearer. Just out of interest, what's the no-load decibel reading quoted for the Durston, assuming they quote a reading?

http://www.durston.co.uk/lan-multi/prod-o-polishing.php

Not listed, I'm afraid. Not enough for me to be concerned about using ear defenders, but that's as empirical as I can be (i.e. utterly subjective). I could hear chickens squawking 20m away over it?

I see they also do a double spindle; 7kg more and 9cm wider.

How about a cookson youtube review Peter?

Can't find a director willing to deal with a stroppy actor

Anyway, Andrew Berry has already done one here; it's listed as a free one but doesn't seem to be behaving as such at the moment.
    Last edited by ps_bond; 20-09-2014 at 03:09 PM.

Cheers - I'll have a look, I'm a member so it should be OK. At the moment avast won't let me onto www.atthebench.com, it thinks it's not safe!
    I'll try from another machine.