Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make a sterling silver bead ring

Default How to make a sterling silver bead ring

Hi,

I'm not after how to "string" beads onto wire to make a bead ring, obviously thats pretty straight forward

But I've seen this pic of a ring and I love it and would love to try to make it. But the only problem is I have no clue how I would even begin? So I thought I'd ask my community of experts that I have right at my fingertips Any tips on how to get started would be absolutely fantastic if anyone can help? Thanks so much!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	original_beaded-sterling-silver-stacking-rings.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	6446

There's something similar in one of the Codina books using granulation - make lots of granules, fuse them together.
    Or make it in wax and cast it...

You could also make these out of sterling silver beaded wire, sold for decorating settings etc.
    Cookson sell it, see; http://www.cooksongold.com/Strip-Bez...prcode-NVZ-002 ,
    I would use this beaded wire to make that type of ring or perhaps a stack of 3 or more rings, this beaded wire is available in any length you wish at 1.5mm. or 2mm. diameters.

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 27-07-2014 at 09:49 AM.

These are definitely made from pearl wire as James says.

It's important to make sure the 'pearls' match up when making these - and the best way to do this without ending up with a lot of solder clogging things up is to always make the join at the largest point in one of them. I see so many made with random joins and they look awful (rather like badly joined scalloped bezel that seems to be everywhere at the moment).

If the size isn't what you need, you'll need to stretch gently after making.

Interesting! I would NEVER have figured that out by myself, thank you so much I will check out this beaded wire you speak of

Here's one I made earlier ;-) They are really, really simple and take only a teeny, teeny bit of heat to solder. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beadring.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	6449

Where's the join, Lydia, between balls I presume? George said above 'at the largest point in one of them', but I'm not sure what she meant. Dennis

Dennis, I always cut through the middle of the ball at either end - joining between them seems to lend itself to using a bit more solder than intended, which can mean they're not quite as tidy. It also gives a slightly larger surface to join, which seems stronger as I usually end up stretching them to fit.

I do the opposite! In between the balls.

Thanks both. It's torches at dawn for you two, by the looks of things.