Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Ring Stretcher

Default Help with Ring Stretcher

I have recently picked up an older Durston ring stretcher but the 6 prongs are out of alignment so when in use I do not get a round ring. Now that summer is over, I wanted to get it sorted before the gift giving season starts; has anyone any ideas how to go about re-setting the prongs. I have been in contact with Durston but with no response.
    Any help will be gratefully received.
    Les
    Poor old Les

Sorry Les, I can't help with solving your question, but when it's fixed make sure you move the ring around when stretching, or else it marks the inside and mis-shapes the ring....just an aside....sorry not to be more helpful....

It seems to me Les, that you need to phone Durston and find out in princilple whether they can re-furbish it, in what time, and approximately at what cost. They might even suggest that they have replaceable parts, which they can send out.

http://www.durston.co.uk/lan-multi/drm-contact.php

You might also consider an inexpensive Indian one from Cousins instead.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/ri...ol-indian-made.

I enjoy the benefits of mine in that I do not bash shanks on mandrels, but just make them a little too small and stretch to size, which also rounds them. Regards, Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, you have read on here how bad they are at responding to phone calls and emails. I have even asked one of my suppliers out here to contact them in the hope that they react better to suppliers compared to individuals. I will try again.
    Poor old Les

Yes I know Les, they have a big black mark against their name. I don't know of course what the real situation is, but I have noticed this more than once in family businesses, when the second generation takes over by default. Hope you get sorted, regards, Dennis.

So it took a number of emails, telephone calls, messages and the like but finally, in just over a month of trying, my ring stretcher has been returned this lunch time and turning out perfect rings without damage on the inside or anything, I had no idea life could be like this...It appears they have reset the inner spindle and either reground or replaced the 6 outer prongs. Happy.
    Persistence does eventually pay.
    Poor old Les

Well done Les. Here's to many years of perfect, scratch-free service from your ring stretcher!
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

Quote Originally Posted by MeadMoon View Post
    Well done Les. Here's to many years of perfect, scratch-free service from your ring stretcher!
    I'm gonna drink to that tonight Elaine, thanks.
    Poor old Les

Glad for you Les and no more whacking rings on a mandrel must be good. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Glad for you Les and no more whacking rings on a mandrel must be good. Dennis.
    You know Dennis, I have spent all afternoon just "piecework" making a large stock of rings, I am so thrilled. Tomorrow they all go off for hallmarking, it's hardly automation, but it's a start to my new efficient way of working.
    Poor old Les