Thread: Gas bottle

Default Gas bottle

Hi everybody,
    I'm a hobby silversmith just moved to the UK 2 weeks ago . I brought here my bench except my gas bottle. Now I'm desperately looking for a gas bottle, which wouldn't be too expensive. Where should I buy it? I found many websites on the internet but I' m not sure which one I should chose. I brought also my torch and the hose. Do I need a specific adaptor and if yes where can I find it ?
    I'll be very gratefull for every advice! Thanks a lot!

Hi, welcome to the UK.

Provided you are not looking for some special gas you can get it from most petrol stations - You will see the Calor Gas enclosure on the property. The first time you will have to pay for the bottle but after that you only pay for the gas. There are probably cheaper ways to obtain gas but if it is urgent this is the fastest way.

If you have a workshop space and can store the cylinder outside, check out Calor gas; http://www.calor.co.uk/shop/gas-bottles.html they are the major UK LPG suppliers, they also deliver and refills are available at many places.

I have used Calor Propane cylinders as my workshop gas supply for the past 30 years. The cylinder requires a regulator to reduce the gas pressure, these are not expensive, choose one to suit your torch, I have a double outlet regulator with two torches connected to the same 13kg. propane cylinder.

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 17-09-2014 at 02:32 PM.

Thanks a lot for your advice!