Thread: Hallo Forum

Default Hallo Forum

Hi, my name is Frans Conradie and since I am new to this forum the right thing to do seems to introduce myself – something easier said than done.

I am trained, educated and experienced in the engineering and managerial fields and have reached a point where I have decided to try and realise an old dream of becoming a metal smith. Sometimes I think I am better suited to the traditional blacksmith side of things but I also like fine detail and, like a crow, I gravitate to things shiny.

I have not been trained or coached in jewellery making at all but I believe that I have the technical skills to handle the physical preparation and construction of jewellery. However, being technically minded, I do seriously lack on the creative side when I need to create something new. I really battle to formulate a new design in my head and the way I deal with this is to start something long before I know what it is supposed to be and then ‘make it up as I go’ - I also need to pay much more attention to detail in finishing off items.

I have read everything I could find on jewellery making for months before I started anything and I am still reading everything I find. Since I see myself, with good reason, as not having any expertise in this field, I tend not to get involved in discussions but try and learn something from all – guess I will need to change this approach and get involved.

I am still heavily involved in my fulltime career; it pays the bills see, while making jewellery as part of my ‘apprenticeship to myself’ in my free time. I am also in the process of constantly reviewing my work environment (for jewellery making) and tools where I regularly identify the need for new tools and jigs - some actually prompted by reading postings on this forum.

So… all in all I am new to all things jewellery related with the longer term plan to achieve some level of competence in whatever ‘style’ I settle for in the end.

Hi Frans welcome to the forum. Glad you have introduced yourself, no doubt we will be able to see your website later

Welcome Frans.....nice to read your introduction....we'll all do what we can to help.....(and look forwards to seeing your website)!!

Hi Frans and welcome from me too.

Hi Frans, welcome. Keep asking questions when you get stuck and don't try to re-invent the wheel all on your own.