View Poll Results: Where did you get your skills?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Self Taught only

30 37.97%
  • Self taught and the odd short course

30 37.97%
  • Series of longer courses but no qualification

5 6.33%
  • FE qualification (A Level, OND etc)

0 0%
  • HE qualification (HND, Degree etc)

4 5.06%
  • Apprenticeship

5 6.33%
  • Self Taught then Qualification

0 0%
  • Self Taught then Apprenticeship

1 1.27%
  • Natural talent from birth

2 2.53%
  • something else (please say)

2 2.53%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: self taught, apprenticed, night school or degree trained?

and the ability to understand what the tools will and won't do and how that blends with traditional theory/techniques....

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    That's true up to a point Chris but the ability to design comes into it too.
    That's a topic I'll avoid. Plenty of "designers" are clueless of the practical side of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    That's a topic I'll avoid. Plenty of "designers" are clueless of the practical side of things.
    I'd say the ability to design and to produce the work is what makes a jeweller. A designer is just a designer.

I worked in workshops 40 years ago then in early eighties went to epsom art school and got a Higher Surrey Diploma in jewellery making. Have only got back into it as a hobby in the last 4 years as I have been off work for many months with severe back pain. I have a small home workshop and have been only working in Silver, because I like it! I am still using tools from college days and now buy the best I can afford.

I am mainly self taught (by that I mean you tube and online tutorials). I inherited my late great uncle's lapidary and jewelry making equipment and supplies when he passed away and that is what gave me my start... but I am really hoping to start taking some silversmithing classes offered by one of the local shops where I live. I have learned a lot online but I can't help but think that there is something more to learn from an expert in person.

Rock Shelley

had to vote 'something else'

I entered the trade with various jobs at the bench before learning how to use CAD and then doing some short coureses. You could loosely describe my time as the bench as an apprenticeship but it certainly wast structured or organised as they are now. The trade is so much further on in terms of training than it was 10 years ago.

I did a degree initially but then sort of an apprenticeship where i was kind of left to my own devices most of the time but I learnt a lot doing it that way. I now work for a jewellers mostly doing repairs but have my own business too.

Started with a years adult education evening classes, with lots of internet videos and tutorials and lots of books...if I see something that interests me I will try to work out how it was made and have a crack on my own version. These forums are invaluable too. I recently did a gem setting course at Creatstudio in Faversham which was brilliant...interestingly enough out of the 8 in the workshop 6 had recent jewellery design degrees and were doing the course because they had not been taught the actual practical skills necessary to work with metals. All that money spent and they still had to pay to learn how to make anything...they could knit a necklace out of carrier bags but couldn't actually solder anything!!!

There are a lot of academics like that. My daughters lodger is highly qualified something in the science field I believe and he can barely tie his shoelaces, but can work anything out on paper. Which would you rather be, I know my choice, you can get by in life being practical and doing most things, but unless you can find someone who can work to your plans on paper you are stuck.

I had a chat with a CAD expert with a well known casting company a while ago, lots of "designers" submitting files that just simply won`t work since they have zero knowledge of the process required to turn a model into an actual piece.