Thread: Overheads!!

Question Overheads!!

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if i could be completely rude and ask those who have a rented/running jewellery workshop (regardless of location) how much your overheads are? (rent,gas,light,electric,water etc...)
    Im putting together a business plan and want to get an idea of the average overhead costs for a small jewellery workshop. If you would rather e-mail me info please do

You'd all be doing me a huge favour as google doesn't seem to want to help me, would you believe, not even one small example of one!

Many many thanks in advance.

Hannah
    HannahMary Jewellery
    Website

Unhappy

...............nobody?
    HannahMary Jewellery
    Website

Hi Hannah
    It really does depend on where you are and what city...it also depends whether you're a pure workshop or whether you also intend to sell from it or use it for training.
    E.g. My shop is in a village location is about the size of a large living room
    I would budget for a minimum of £1000 per month but it could easily be more.

There quite simply isn't an average.....
    You need to find out some lease costs for you locality here are some things to factor in.

Rent + RATES (+ TERM, how long is the contract, because that's your liability)
    Utilities Gas, Water, Electric, Sewerage, Waste Disposal (dependant on location).
    Insurance Public Liability. if public cross your threshold (ever) you need to have this. Employers Insurance, if you pay someone to help (ever) you need this too. If you can afford it cover your stock as well but be warned if it involves precious metals the minimum premiums can be £500-£1000 per year. Health Insurance - If you're the only income are you covered if you have an accident?
    Consumables & Set Up Costs Lightbulbs, Pens, Paper, Cleaning Equipment, Work bench, It all mounts up
    Security Locks, Window Bars, Alarm. What will you have?
    Packaging Will you have any?
    Accountant / Book-keeper You'll have to submit vat & tax returns so it's worthwhile to have a professional on board.

Once all these things are costed you need to work out what you're making / selling and how much of it you need to do to
    1) Break Even
    2) Make a profit to pay your wages & re-invest.
    These are things you need to do the homework on but they're all things that make a difference as to whether your business will succeed.

Hope that helps
    Nicola x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver