Thread: Product liability insurance question

Default Product liability insurance question

Hi, I want to sell my own handmade jewellery so I thought it might be a good idea to get PL insurance. But it seems like it is hard to get if you want to sell to the US and Canada, or generally worldwide or are making items with precious metals. Does anyone have any experience of getting this type of insurance and have any advice or suggestions they could share please? I thought it would be straightforward to get but not so much it seems!

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

Default Product liability insurance question

Just as a matter of interest what risks would you be insuring against? So long as the products you sell are correctly described (e.g so that the buyer would then be aware of any potential allergy implications) I cannot see what additional risks there are with jewellery.
    Last edited by BarryM; 11-09-2014 at 01:25 PM.
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

Quote Originally Posted by BarryM View Post
    Just as a matter of interest what risks would you be insuring against? So long as the products you sell are correctly described (e.g so that the buyer would then be aware of any potential allergy implications) I cannot see what additional risks there are with jewellery.
    Hi. To be honest I don't think there is anything dangerous about my jewellery - I just make 'regular' shaped pendants and earrings (with surgical steel earwires) but in today's 'claims culture' I thought it would be best to protect myself. Maybe I'm being too careful?

I'd be interested to know what other's do regarding selling their jewellery.

You'll find a lot about insurance in previous posts if you do a search. We have our different likes but you will get free ppl with membership of the Guild of Jewellery Designers or with AN

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    You'll find a lot about insurance in previous posts if you do a search. We have our different likes but you will get free ppl with membership of the Guild of Jewellery Designers or with AN
    Thanks very much Caroline, I'll look up the Guild.
    Last edited by Sage; 12-09-2014 at 01:05 PM.

GOJD cover specifically excludes North America and Canada.
    Still well worth it though if you don't need that cover.