Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a lapiz cab ring

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Once you soldered on the bezel to the bottom, did you pierce away the remains or snip it off. Also the top of the bezel near the stone as Mark said is a "D" shape, I thought it had to be more of a knife edge, could be thats where I am going wrong, my bezel edges after setting always look a bit chewed, could it be that I am filing it a bit too much because on the finished ring your bezel does look a bit thicker than mine. I make a lot of rings, its one of my favourite things to make so any info would be helpful. Let me know when your book comes out as I will top of the buyers list. Big fan !!!!
    Still having problems? we have discussed your bezel setting twice, I doubt James can add much more on that subject.

James: I admire your ability to make a simple job so elegantly even in silver, most seem to hash things together without the small attention to details & neatness which is why most jewellery looks so nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Once you soldered on the bezel to the bottom, did you pierce away the remains or snip it off. Also the top of the bezel near the stone as Mark said is a "D" shape, I thought it had to be more of a knife edge, could be thats where I am going wrong, my bezel edges after setting always look a bit chewed, could it be that I am filing it a bit too much because on the finished ring your bezel does look a bit thicker than mine. I make a lot of rings, its one of my favourite things to make so any info would be helpful. Let me know when your book comes out as I will top of the buyers list. Big fan !!!!
    Pat, photos number 9 + 10 show that I pierced away the bezel backing. The bezel strip was 0.5mm. thick and when setting the stone, I push over opposing edges and burnish the edges over the stone. Then I use a needle file to smooth any marks in the bezel, thinning the top edge and to tidy up the whole look of the setting, after filing the final job is cutting around the top of the setting edge with a scorper before polishing. I hope this all makes sense.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23 Finished ring.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	6589

James

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    Still having problems? we have discussed your bezel setting twice, I doubt James can add much more on that subject.

James: I admire your ability to make a simple job so elegantly even in silver, most seem to hash things together without the small attention to details & neatness which is why most jewellery looks so nasty.
    Thanks for your nice comments Chris, I don't make much silver jewellery, it's just that my daughter does not like gold jewellery, she likes the simple stuff and has silver rings on all fingers. I have made a few nice pieces of jewellery but most of my stuff was large objet d-art pieces. Seeing your work on the Tank watch took me back a bit. In my past I worked at a company staffed by ex Wright and Davies goldsmiths and we made quite a few special order Tank watches for Cartier. I don't do my own setting on the best jobs, I leave that to experts like yourself. This was the last decent set of earrings I made about 10 years ago.

Name:	GE. Channel set earings.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	6590

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 12-09-2014 at 07:27 AM.

Lovely earrings James.

Pat, I'm sure James was happy to answer your questions. Some of us (me included) need a bit of extra help sometimes. That's why this is such a friendly place (usually!).

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Pat, I'm sure James was happy to answer your questions. Some of us (me included) need a bit of extra help sometimes. That's why this is such a friendly place (usually!).
    Was that me being blunt , just seems abit odd to keep asking the same thing when you have all the answers (twice over), you just need to make them work by practicing, not trying to find a miracle cure.

James: I did a little bit of outwork for Garrards years ago, these days it`s getting hard to find quality handmade..99% of jobs these days involve cost or corner cutting in some form or other unfortunately.

Here is another photo of some of my daughters bezel set silver rings;

Name:	76 silver rings with rub over settings.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	6593

James

James, you have a very lucky daughter!! You manage to make even simple rings look so elegant! Thank you for posting step by step photos, it's really interesting and informative.

Lucy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chris, I am sorry if I keep asking questions about bezel setting, at the class I went to we didn't learn much other than soldering. There must be something fundamental that I am not doing correctly and I want to find out what it is. I file my bezel edge with a 6 file and it still looks chewed, but I am going to try to use fine silver not bezel silver next time and perhaps I am filing it too thin, but somehow I will find out what I am doing wrong. Everything else turns out good and I sell quite a few bits at craft shows, plus of course it's not easy judging distance when you only have one eye when you are used to having two.

PM sent Patsone.

After reading through all of the correspondence I think the key to a brilliant bezel is the scorper.
    Bought a scorper but have shied away from shaping it yet. The instructions seem straightforward enough but not very confident about actually doing it.
    At the moment it keeps looking at me from where its lying on my bench.....
    Also, using fine silver bezel makes a huge difference.

Theresa