Thread: Setting ideas for unusual pendant

Default Setting ideas for unusual pendant

I've had a really interesting brief from someone who wants a polished dolerite pendant set in silver. It's an oddly shaped piece - an uneven triangle, that comes up to make a shallow and uneven prismatic shape. It has one drill hole through it.
    It's very tactile, so I ideally only want to suspend it from the top/hole, but need to make something that can be made, then fitted on once polished. I can't see any kind of bezel or strip setting working at the top as the piece is heavy and the shape of it (imagine trying to hang a shallow 3-sided pyramid from one of it's edges). I'm thinking of using silver tube through the hole, but can't think how to actually suspend it solidly once done. Wire wrapping is a no-no design-wise. I don't want heat near it, as it's of sentimental value and I don't want to risk destoying it. Anyone have any ideas? I'm banned from the studio for a week by the doctor (I have managed to get a severely infected eyelid - how I have no idea) so am squinting and going back to the sketchbook and knocking ideas around until I am allowed near machinery again.

Does it have a flat back Lydia? Stuck on computer with a trapped nerve so time on my hands too! Could you show a photo of the stone?

No photo, but a speedy biro sketch!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lyd1.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	6567

You could make a bail with prongs to secure it in the hole. That way you can polish it before attaching it to the stone. I have just had to make some to go on a few pendants that were too wide to get a jump ring through.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I'm assuming that you want to do more than just hang it? If the back is flat enough I like the idea of the tube which you could solder to the back plate and either leave free moving or if you are really careful tube rivet to lock the stone, perhaps something soldered on elsewhere to secure at the bottom, a decorative form or a couple of claws and whatever inspires you for the rest. I've used tubing like that and it gives a nice effect, you could of course use glue dare I say if you are too nervous to tap the edges with a hammer! Just thinking out loud which is not always a good thing

Hi Lydia - not much help with the setting I'm afraid, but an old wive's tale remedy for infected eyelid is to rub gold onto it. Well, I am a wife, and I am old and it may be tall tale, but it works for my DH when he gets an eye infection. Not too sure how frequently you're supposed to rub gold on to it though, he just used to rub his wedding band over it as and when he remembered.

Susie.

This crystal which I only put on here the other day has a hole with a tube Lydia. The tube can pass through the bail front and back, or only at the back and then be spread with a pointy object.

The spread tube at the front can be disguised by glueing in a short wire with a ball, slice of thick round wire, or other decoration on the end. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Amathyst Chrystal Pendant.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    This crystal which I only put on here the other day has a hole with a tube Lydia. The tube can pass through the bail front and back, or only at the back and then be spread with a pointy object.

The spread tube at the front can be disguised by glueing in a short wire with a ball, slice of thick round wire, or other decoration on the end. Dennis
    That's pretty Dennis

Thank you everyone, I think a pinch bail through the hole is the way forward (I was a bit worried it would not be strong enough, but think the depth of the stone is enough that it should not be able to come out. Now off to plot ways of making it suitably Celty!