Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Creating lines and patterns on metal + stone setting

Default Help with Creating lines and patterns on metal + stone setting

Hey guys, I've been looking at some old pieces of native american jewellery and wondered what sort of tool you'd need to create the lines and patterns on the silver, for example on this..

etsy.com/uk/listing/168027838/vintage-navajo-sterling-silver-petrified?ref=sr_gallery_24&ga_search_query=navajo +vintage+jewellery&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_page= 15&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

Would it have been engraved or stamped? Sorry if this is a silly question. I've had a look at punches but can't seem to find one that is a straight line.

And would the same tool have been used to make the marks on the silver balls on this..?

etsy.com/uk/listing/194174798/old-vintage-navajo-stamped-sterling?ref=sr_gallery_8&ga_search_query=navajo+v intage+jewellery&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_page=16 &ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

Also I've been trying to set some unusual shaped crystals and wondered what you lot think about using glue, are there ever times where it is necessary to hold the stone in place? I've got a bunch of quartz wands and find that if i try and set them with a bezel cup at the end they just fall out.

Thanks!

A wood chisel?

I would like a shot at answering your questions but lack the knowhow to convert your link, as pasting it into Google does not bring up anything but as per capture below.

By wands I take it you mean long thin crystals, which can be suspended as pendants.
    These are best set in a custom made tube, usually around 6-8mm long, with one end closed off and a jump ring to hang them by. If using silver, 0.4mm fine silver would work and you can order it as cut strip.
    For retention you can cut a shallow groove around the crystal with a separating disk or diamond file, to push the edges of the metal into, or use a little two part epoxi, or both.

Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Navaho.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by lj254 View Post
    Hey guys, I've been looking at some old pieces of native american jewellery and wondered what sort of tool you'd need to create the lines and patterns on the silver, for example on this..

etsy.com/uk/listing/168027838/vintage-navajo-sterling-silver-petrified?ref=sr_gallery_24&ga_search_query=navajo +vintage+jewellery&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_page= 15&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

Would it have been engraved or stamped? Sorry if this is a silly question. I've had a look at punches but can't seem to find one that is a straight line.

And would the same tool have been used to make the marks on the silver balls on this..?

etsy.com/uk/listing/194174798/old-vintage-navajo-stamped-sterling?ref=sr_gallery_8&ga_search_query=navajo+v intage+jewellery&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_page=16 &ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

Also I've been trying to set some unusual shaped crystals and wondered what you lot think about using glue, are there ever times where it is necessary to hold the stone in place? I've got a bunch of quartz wands and find that if i try and set them with a bezel cup at the end they just fall out.

Thanks!
    The first photo of a bangle, if I was doing the decoration I think a nice fine three square needle file or a sharp scorper would cut the pattern. The second photo of the turquoise pin brooch says it was stamped so I would expect the design to be pressed in a steel die.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I would like a shot at answering your questions but lack the knowhow to convert your link, as pasting it into Google does not bring up anything but as per capture below.....
    Dennis.
    Hi Dennis, if you highlight and copy the address, and then paste it into the address bar at the top of the browser (the bit that says www.cooksongold.com or whatever), that should work.
    or go here and here

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    The first photo of a bangle, if I was doing the decoration I think a nice fine three square needle file or a sharp scorper would cut the pattern.
    That would be a neater (and higher quality) way of doing it, but looking at that I felt that the incision looked displaced more than any material being removed.

The cuff looks as if it's been hit with a chisel or something with a very sharp edge, I would needle file it, I did a spoon recently that was similarly carved on the stem.
    The second piece looks as if the silver is very thin and stamped as James said.
    Could you post a photo of your crystals so we could advise?

Thank you so much for the help guys! Sounds like I need to invest in a needle file and scorper. I've been going round and round in circles trying to find things out by searching on google but I've only done a few days of a beginners workshop in silver jewellery and the rest i'm trying to teach myself, so I'm still not 100% sure about which tools do what so have probably been typing in the wrong thing!

I've attached some photos of some of the stones, the amethyst is cut like a cab but wasn't sure pushing the bezel wire over the uneven part would work. I thought maybe creating a few prongs on the side and pushing them over would stop it from falling out? Although I've not had much practice setting stones this way, I can never seem to get the wire to press firmly enough against the stone to keep it in place.

Dennis that's a brilliant idea to cut a groove into the crystal, I hadn't thought of that!

Leah
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG5019.jpg   IMAG5016.jpg  

Hi Leah
    You could do with a set of needle files, the best you can afford, they are something you will make great use of. I have just ordered a new set of 12 realising that I've had mine since I was a student in the 70s and they may no longer be at their best! I was quite shocked at the price but you can buy a set of 6 , it's actually cheaper than buying them singly.
    There are people better served to give advice on the stones but I would say that you are right about the rough stones and a prong setting.
    Welcome to the forum by the way

There was a post on here a few weeks ago about a starter tool kit and what we thought should be included, http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6040
    Last edited by CJ57; 04-09-2014 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trialuser View Post
    Hi Dennis, if you highlight and copy the address, and then paste it into the address bar at the top of the browser (the bit that says www.cooksongold.com or whatever), that should work.
    or go here and here
    Thanks Martin.